PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to master Linux?

Rokurosv
November 22nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
Since I'm using Ubuntu as my main system, I've been reading and tweaking stuff mostly using manuals and guides, but I want to reach a point where I know which part does what in my system, and how to solve some problems on my own. Where should I begin?

I mean I love Linux and I love the whole philosophy behind it, the community too. And well since I'm into programming it makes sense to me to learn the ins and outs of Linux. I think that by learning how Linux works I can help the community and give back something too. Any pointer, or books or articles about this subject?

Nkosi
November 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
I'm no master yet, but an advanced user recommended to me:
- practice what's in the great books "Running Linux" and "Unix Power Tools",
- install a secondary Linux OS like Arch that requires learning the command-line side "under-the-hood" aspects of *nix,
- join 2 or 3 *nix forums has been a great resource -- like this one, Unix.com or LinuxQuestions.org, to name a few among many good ones.

Have fun with it. I started a year ago and haven't looked back.

FuturePilot
November 22nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Time and first hand experience. Books can only take you so far. But actually doing stuff can take you so much further. :) Don't be afraid to break stuff. That's what makes it fun, seeing what works and what doesn't. (although make sure you have your stuff backed up before breaking things ;) )

myusername
November 22nd, 2008, 10:22 AM
once you can figure out most of ubuntu. move on to arch...once you understand that try something like gentoo. if you get good at it tackle one of the big boys and go for linux from scratch (lfs)

habtool
November 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
One word: Patience

tsali
November 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Another word: Persistance

rudihawk
November 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
The force is required with this one it is.

lukjad
November 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
What does it take to master Linux? A whip, a chair, and a net. ;)

Seriously, the way to master Linux is to accept help. Listen to what others have to say. You will glean much information from this. Be patient, and be persistent. This is your ride, and you can go as far as you like. If you want to learn how to work solely in the command prompt, that can be done. If you just want to learn how to enable a few repositories and watch movies, that is fine as well.

Read much, and then try and help. You learn more from helping than from being helped, I find.

Also, be prepared to be wrong. That will be a great challenge. Some people have to be right, and because of that A) no one want to help someone who is always right, and B) people who are always right never want to learn.

billgoldberg
November 22nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
What does it take to master Linux?

A computer with linux, an internet connection and google.

Rokurosv
November 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
And what about other Unix based systems like BSD or Solaris? Would it help if I learn a little bit about them or are the differences between them great?

billgoldberg
November 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
And what about other Unix based systems like BSD or Solaris? Would it help if I learn a little bit about them or are the differences between them great?

Linux isn't a Unix system.

If you want to master Linux, use linux.

|{urse
November 22nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Really, if you want to master linux you're probably not gonna do it with ubuntu. Try red hat, slack or gentoo. Ironically people who have learned linux the hard way seem to use ubuntu when theyre done pulling their hair out.

xpod
November 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
Much of the above,along with lots of tea & coffee i`d imagine.

BloGTK
November 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
VirtualBox is your friend... create a nice VM install that you can break in all sorts of different ways without fear of bornking a real system.

The best way to learn is by doing.

If you want to learn to program, use a simple scripting language like Python - it's easy to pick up, but has a lot of power.

Rokurosv
November 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
Linux isn't a Unix system.

If you want to master Linux, use linux.

Woops, I meant Unix-like heheheh. Well thanks for the advice I guess all it really needs is time and practice, and not be afraid to break stuff