PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't boot to desktop after install

pmwhite
November 22nd, 2008, 06:11 AM
Hi

I am new to ubuntu. I installed it last week. Took 3 tries to install but it finally installed after I installed another 256MB RAM (now I have 512). Ok, so now the install goes smoothly and I am asked to remove the CD and reboot. I do but I never get to the desktop. I get an orange backgrounded screen that then goes black and and linux version of an hourglass (I guess, its a circle that has dots on it ?) Sometimes I don't get that far the screen just goes dark after selecting generic ubuntu version. I have tried to go to recovery mode, I can get there fine and run all the different options, doesn't help me boot up. I ran a memory test (its another option I have at startup) Everything is fine.

Is this supposed to be this complicated ? I realise its a free OS but if it doesn't work then its useless to me. lol

HELP !!

inobe
November 22nd, 2008, 06:26 AM
give ubuntu forums your computer make/ model.

Is this supposed to be this complicated ? I realise its a free OS but if it doesn't work then its useless to me. lol

i installed ubuntu on at least 35 pc's, friends and family haven't complained once, the hardware on all the pc's varied and few were alike, i never had this problem you are describing.

pmwhite
November 22nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
I have an a HP with a Celeron 2.2Ghz, 512 RAM, 40GB GD, nothing attached; not attached to a network and no other OS on the PC.

I don't think this is a 'weird' configuration. I also had tried to install it and boot to the desktop when the hard drive also had Win98 Se. It didn't work so I reinstalled with no other OS

inobe
November 22nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
we have the make' now all we need is the model then we can start troubleshooting .

pmwhite
November 22nd, 2008, 06:52 AM
Sorry, it had 2 HP drives (DVD RW) installed so I thought it was an HP. There is no model name or manufacturer name on it.

Looks like a no name pc if there is such a thing.