PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust volume with keyboard?

days_of_ruin
November 22nd, 2008, 06:09 AM
Its just a normal keyboard.Is there some program that allows you to make
any key perform any action you want?

p_quarles
November 22nd, 2008, 06:12 AM
I use Fluxbox and amixer. I imagine there are keybinding applications independent of window managers, but I also know that Compiz has pretty flexible keyboard programming.

days_of_ruin
November 22nd, 2008, 06:18 AM
I use Fluxbox and amixer. I imagine there are keybinding applications independent of window managers, but I also know that Compiz has pretty flexible keyboard programming.

How do I use them?

Afkpuz
November 22nd, 2008, 06:20 AM
If you're looking to set a keyboard shortcut for volume up/down, that's easy. Goto System>Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts. There, you can set several system wide key bindings.

days_of_ruin
November 22nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
If you're looking to set a keyboard shortcut for volume up/down, that's easy. Goto System>Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts. There, you can set several system wide key bindings.

THX I should have noticed that:D

p_quarles
November 22nd, 2008, 06:32 AM
How do I use them?
If you're using Fluxbox, it's simple: you just need to add lines to your .fluxbox/keys file:

174 :ExecCommand amixer sset Master 5%-
On my multimedia keyboard, the key with the X keycode 174 is the volume down key. Your keyboard may be different. Following is the syntax that causes the Fluxbox window manager to run the amixer command that reduces the Master volume control by 5%.

hessiess
November 22nd, 2008, 07:12 AM
XBindKeys