PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Studio installation x86, DVD from ISO, getting errors.

dv-design
November 22nd, 2008, 05:05 AM
I downloaded the Ubuntu Studio DVD ISO from the site directly. I copied the ISO to a DVD by mounting the ISO and doing a disc to disc copy.

I currently have windows xp pro installed. The disc boots, goes to the Ubuntu Studio installation screen. It intially asks what language, i pick English. Then i select install.

The screen goes black and looks like DOS (for lack of a better description) and i start getting errors.

A list of them; mainly in pairs like so;

end_request: I/O error dev sr0
buffer I/O error on device sr0

The above is not exact, its prefaced by some numbers and also followed by sectors and numbers.

Just curious if there is some known issue that would cause this, if i am not following the install procedure correctly, or if this is some weird error.

As a note, XP is currently installed and active, do i need to format the drive first before installation or can i reformat from the installation?

Also the drive i am using may be problematic itself, i may try swapping it out for another drive.

Any input would be great, thanks.

inobe
November 22nd, 2008, 05:28 AM
that error says the cd/ dvd is no good !

you may want to download the iso and burn it as an image.

edit: please specify what type om cd rom you are using, is it a sata or eide drive ?

dv-design
November 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Turned out my DVD drive was going bad, dvd that i made was fine.

I swapped out the drive and ran the installation without a problem...

Im actually writting here from my new install...super cool. Im a proud new Linux user.

inobe
November 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
congrats :)

have a lot of fun~