PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 64bit vs 32bit?

io5150
November 22nd, 2008, 01:59 AM
Hello,

I have been interested in linux for quite a while. I have installed Ibex 32bit on my laptop (IBM T30, dual-boot with XP Pro, 512MB, 40G) and have enjoyed it. I have been "testing" it to see if I am ready to migrate to linux on my main system.

The system specs of my home system are as follows:
MSI K9N4 SLI mb
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core - 2.2 GHz
nVidia 7600 GS
1 GB RAM
SATA 250 GB internal
60 GB for XP Pro (28 GB free)
175 GB free for Ubuntu (and other distro testing)
IDE 60 GB internal (will use for back up drive)
External USB 250GB (storage - 165 GB free)

I know that I will probably have to virtualize my XP to run MSO 2003. I have tried OOo 2.4 & 3.0 and it will not render the tables properly in the docs that I work with (others are creating the file in MSO, send them to me and I convert them to pdf for the local church site that I maintain). I have tried WINE for MSO 2003 but have not had much luck.

I also use DW4 for site building/maintenance and Acrobat 5 for conversion (although there are other pdf converters out there) - I bought both ages ago when I inherited the responsibility of maintaining the site.

The other concern I have is that wifey and I use Quicken 2007 for our finances (have for 12 years).

I can do just about everything else I need to do in Linux, but the above mentioned.

Will using the 64bit version present more problems than the 32bit version. I know there are loads of trouble trying to run the 64bit versions of MS and compatibility issues with many programs. Are the same issues present with 64bit linux?

Any insights from someone who has used both would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
io

AliTabuger7
November 22nd, 2008, 02:30 AM
64 Bit is usually a bit more of a pain for compatibility. A very few apps will get a boost, but most will not.

As far as i know, wine does not get any boost at all from 64 bit, and is also a pain to get working. This may have changed since I tried it, but I doubt it has. I think that you would need WINE if you wish to use the same pdf conversion software and the same finance program.

The only reasons I would tell you to get 64 is if you know that you are going to be using an app that gets a boost from 64 bit (which I do not believe you are) or you plan on upgrading to +4GB of RAM.

simtaalo
November 22nd, 2008, 02:31 AM
use the native o/s for your system, unless you have a very good reason NOT to use 64-bit then make the switch.