PDA

View Full Version : Difference

Uchiha_madara
November 21st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Hi Guys ...

I haven't used ubuntu 8.10 yet ...

so I ask you who used the Last version ...

what is the major difference between 8.04 and 8.10 ???

:guitar::guitar:

beno1990
November 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM
8.10 has a lot of bugs fixed, some newer versions of certain software, more hardware support, and it feels a bit sleeker, too, with its updated themes.

I'd say it's worth using 8.10 over 8.04.

Sinkingships7
November 21st, 2008, 10:01 PM
what is the major difference between 8.04 and 8.10 ???

About 0.6

Paqman
November 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM
Off the top of my head:

New version of Gnome that has some nice new features (tabbed file browser, lots of unmount buttons, restore from trash)
Much better wifi support
Encrypted private directory
Updated apps eg: new version of GIMP
Bugfixes

So not a massive upgrade, but some nice stuff nonetheless.

Bölvağur
November 21st, 2008, 10:07 PM
*rephrased*

If your computer works well atm, you probably dont need to switch. The 8.04 is LTS any way, so hoping your hardware will not break on 8.10 might not be worth it :P

Uchiha_madara
November 21st, 2008, 10:08 PM
About 0.6

you are very nice

Uchiha_madara
November 21st, 2008, 10:11 PM
by Paqman
* New version of Gnome that has some nice new features (tabbed file browser, lots of unmount buttons, restore from trash)
* Much better wifi support
* Encrypted private directory
* Updated apps eg: new version of GIMP
* Bugfixes

So not a massive upgrade, but some nice stuff nonetheless.

hmmmmmmmmm..anther Question what about the hardware configuration's??

So 8.04 works on my laptop but 8.10 doesn't.

don't say this ...I will be very sad then.
what is the reason ??

Paqman
November 21st, 2008, 10:39 PM
hmmmmmmmmm..anther Question what about the hardware configuration's??

8.10 includes a newer kernel that should support more hardware (particularly wifi). However, as always, the best thing to do is try out the LiveCD to see if your hardware likes it.

Mr. Picklesworth
November 22nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
My /new/ favourite difference is the use of DKMS by default. I have memories of my old desktop with unsupported wifi card where I had to use ndiswrapper. Kernel updates would always come before ndiswrapper driver updates, and I would occasionally miss that, thus breaking wifi. DKMS rebuilds the drivers for the new kernel in that eventuality, saving a lot of headaches. (Although it would also save headaches if Debian could be that little bit smarter...)

eternalnewbee
November 22nd, 2008, 01:02 AM
If your computer works well atm, you probably dont need to switch. The 8.04 is LTS any way, so hoping your hardware will not break on 8.10 might not be worth it :P
Agreed.

Sinkingships7
November 22nd, 2008, 07:24 AM
you are very nice

Relax: It's just a joke :)

Aside from what others have mentioned, Synaptic now features a handy "quick search" function just like the Add/Remove package manager's. You start typing what it is you're looking for, and it narrows down your results accordingly, in real time.

8.10, for the most part, feels like a more solid & polished 8.04. I heard the newer kernel's are fixing a lot of hardware incompatibilities as well.

igknighted
November 22nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
About 0.6

Actually, 8.04 + .6 = 8.64

I think you meant .06 :P

jimreynold2nd
November 22nd, 2008, 07:42 AM
New kernel (2.6.27-7), new gnome -> new compiz effects (i.e cylindrical "cube", see attach), default new driver for nvidia, new shutdown dialog (doesn't work with Mac4Lin1.0RC1), other minor updates like better OSD for Exaile....

Agree.