PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Segmentation fault with aMSN

LoloftheRings
November 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
A few days ago, I installed aMSN. When I press the 'login' button, I get a segmentation fault (terminal output) and aMSN disappears. I tried reinstalling it a few times but it didn't work. I didn't compile it myself, but just apt-get installed it.

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance.

lemming465
November 23rd, 2008, 03:11 AM
File a bug report in launchpad, and switch to "kmess" as an alternative in the interim?

LoloftheRings
November 23rd, 2008, 10:51 AM
I found another thread about this. I can't remember where and I also can't find it anymore. I had to edit some .conf file and remove a 'wins'.
I believe it's in launchpad already. It works now.
Thanks anyway

mastapat11
June 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM
the fix is to remove 'wins' from the hosts: line in /etc/nsswitch.conf

nickkontos
November 28th, 2009, 03:50 AM
worked for me, thanks :)

Robynsveil
April 24th, 2010, 11:27 PM
But is this a fix, really? I need to access my Windows shares, and that the "wins" entry in the /etc/nsswitch.conf file is essential to make this work. Apparently it is WINS that crashes (according to the aMSN forums) but if WINS crashes, why can I still access my folders?

Seems all very 'too-hard basket' to me...:(

Robynsveil
April 26th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Okay, aMSN appears to not much care whether their software works when WINS is enabled, so I'm going to have to look for another client to access MSN from within the gnome environment.

I noticed there is KMess, but that seems set up for Kubuntu, which I'm not using. Or can I still use KMess in just plain vanilla gnome?

franciel
May 25th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Some people think after remove the 'wins' from line hosts of nsswitch.conf file solve all problems, but this increase others problems, like name resolution in internal network.

Hey, do not remove de wins, but simply move after the dns, I do this with my line and names in internal network and aMSN work correctly:

hosts: dns wins files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] mdns4

Att,
Franciel
MSN: jose_franciel@hotmail.com

:popcorn: