PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing on ram

rstimpymike
November 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM
is this possible? if so how do you do it?

oilchangeguy
November 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM
is this possible? if so how do you do it?

no. what's stored in the computers ram goes bye, bye when the computer is turned off.

icanfly0307
November 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM
Installing on RAM???? If you're talking about installing Ubuntu on your RAM, then it's definitely not possible. Why would you want to do that anyway????

Therion
November 21st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Depending on what you mean the answer is definitely maybe.

rstimpymike
November 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
heres what happened...my harddrive crashed so right now im using my ubuntu bootable disk. i have another copy of linux that i installed onto a flash drive and im going to use that as a harddrive right now til i can pick up a new one. i only want to load linux into my RAM so that i can use my cd burner to burn a iso image.

oilchangeguy
November 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Depending on what you mean the answer is definitely maybe.

what else could the op mean?

michande03
November 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM
sure you can but as it has no long term memory or saving options there will be used and thereafter thrown away, and not only if boot, if not used it will be lost

rstimpymike
November 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM
im sorry im new at this what does op mean?

oilchangeguy
November 21st, 2008, 07:52 PM
heres what happened...my harddrive crashed so right now im using my ubuntu bootable disk. i have another copy of linux that i installed onto a flash drive and im going to use that as a harddrive right now til i can pick up a new one. i only want to load linux into my RAM so that i can use my cd burner to burn a iso image.

how are you going to burn it? you have other posts that say your computer has no working cd drive. and no you can't install it to ram.

oilchangeguy
November 21st, 2008, 07:52 PM
im sorry im new at this what does op mean?

original poster

lapubell
November 21st, 2008, 07:54 PM
wait, i think i see what is going on here.

are you asking how to boot to ram (not install), so that you can use your cd drive as a burner?

i think that this can happen, but I don't know how. anyone else?

rstimpymike
November 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
i have the files that i want to burn an iso for on a flash drive. i only have one cd drive, and that is currently being used to boot ubuntu...i was told that you can boot ubuntu onto your ram for a short period of time just so that i can use my cd drive to burn the iso image. im going to then use my flash drive as a harddrive until i can get the money for a new one. im sorry if i confused anyone.

oilchangeguy
November 21st, 2008, 08:12 PM
i have the files that i want to burn an iso for on a flash drive. i only have one cd drive, and that is currently being used to boot ubuntu...i was told that you can boot ubuntu onto your ram for a short period of time just so that i can use my cd drive to burn the iso image. im going to then use my flash drive as a harddrive until i can get the money for a new one. im sorry if i confused anyone.

who told you this? they should be able to tell you how to do it. it can't be done. there is no option when the cd starts, to send it to ram.

linuxonbute
November 21st, 2008, 09:00 PM

Does your PC have an option to boot from USB discs?

If it does and you have a second flash drive you could do the following:

Boot from the live Cd.
install linux to this second flash drive.
Then reboot but this time run from the flash drive.
Then you can burn the iso because your CD drive is not in use.