PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to setup a multiboot flash drive

a412on
November 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM
Hey everyone, I just got a 16 gig kingston data traveler flash drive, and my goal is to have it be able to boot up many different distro live cds. My overall plan is to have 8 gigs in windows for data storage, and split the other 8 gigs up between an ubuntu live cd, backtrack 3, DSL, and samurai. The first thing I have done is partition off the two 8 gigs, one labled DATA, and the other Live. From reading around, I tried to use Unetbootin to install the bootable live os'es on my drive. It works fine with one OS, for example ubuntu. What I read was to install one using that app, then put it all in a folder, and install another, and link them together in syslinux.cfg. The thing is that I can always get one to boot, but not the other. Does anyone know of a straighforward way of doing this? I am surely not the first person to try and make it happen.

lemming465
November 23rd, 2008, 02:51 AM
You are going to have much better luck if you install each Linux distribution to a separate disk partition. If you want Windows, Ubuntu, Backtrack, DSL, and Samurai on the same disk make 6 partitions (the linux variants can share a single swap partition).

xenolalia
December 30th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Hi!

I am also trying to put together a multiboot flash drive (Patriot XT 16 GB), and I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers as to how to use grub (or any other bootloader for that matter) to put ubuntu, super grub disk, dban, and . . . :? . . . maybe winpe/bartpe on my flash drive. A quick disclaimer: I'm not a total linux-newbie, but I don't know much more than the very basics when it comes to booting or bootloaders. :)

Thanks very much in advance!
Xenolalia

P.S. So far, I've tried both installing ubuntu to my flash drive and using the utility included in intrepid ibex to create a persistent live usb drive; both seem to work fine with my flash drive.