PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] New system from scratch ... making the move to Ubuntu

gshockxc
November 21st, 2008, 04:27 PM
I've been a member of this forum for FAR longer than I've been a user of Ubuntu. I've played with X, K, and Ubuntu, and liked them all ... for different reasons.

I'm building a completely new system from scratch. I didn't think about the hardware compatibility until I got the motherboard and noticed that the box had Vista logos all over it. It didn't specifically say that it would only work with Vista, but I'm guessing that they designed it around that OS. I haven't finished the build yet, and I still need to get CD/DVD & floppy drives, and I'd like to install a wireless card. My hardware thus far is listed below:

HDD: 500GB Western Digital (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136178)

CPU:AMD Athlon X2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103257)

Memory: 2GB Kingston (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134117)

Power Supply: Antec 380W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005)

Mother board:ASRock A780 Full Display Port (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157127)

Case: Raidmax Smilodon (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156078) (:???: - don't ask me where they get these names. I just thought it was a cool looking case.)

So here are my questions:

Does anyone know if I will have any issues running Ubuntu with any of these components?
Does anyone have any recommendations for wireless networking components?
Are there any special precautions I need to take to get all the components to work together? (I don't even know what I'm asking here, just searching for things I might have overlooked.

Thanks for your time. I appreciate any help you can offer.

-gshockxc

Peter09
November 21st, 2008, 04:31 PM
Not sure that Ubuntu will run in a Case like that (Smileodon) - we do have standards you Know:)

thekylehome@gmail.com
November 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM
Your CPU will work just fine :D that's the same as mine! uh, I don't see any problems with your hardware setup...

gshockxc
November 21st, 2008, 04:34 PM
Not sure that Ubuntu will run in a Case like that (Smileodon) - we do have standards you Know:)

:lolflag:

That's why I'm here... I'm all about breaking down the barriers!

Hey, at least I'm going to open source. That's got to say something.

gshockxc
November 21st, 2008, 04:36 PM
Your CPU will work just fine :D that's the same as mine! uh, I don't see any problems with your hardware setup...

Cool. Thanks. How do you like the CPU performance in Ubuntu (assuming that's what you're running)? This is my first upgrade since I got my Athlon - Socket 939.

Therion
November 21st, 2008, 04:45 PM
A few things kinda jump out at me. Number one... Is there a reason you're going with a Micro ATX motherboard? Secondly, just thought I'd point out that the mobo supports 1066Mhz DDR and you've linked to 800Mhz DDR. That memory will work but the motherboard accepts faster. Lastly, the mobo is what I would call adequate, but just barely. You're not really leaving yourself much room for future expansion with that form-factor and the board itself is, in my opinion, pretty limited. Maybe you've considered this already but I just thought I'd toss out my two-cent's worth.

EDIT: Oooo... That case is a midtower and accepts ATX motherboards. I've never tried putting a Micro ATX board into a mid-size tower. I dunno... Maybe the tray allows you to compensate and position the board correctly so the rear panel aligns correctly? But then you've got to think about cables as well and getting them to reach from places like the drive bays and front panel connectors. If I were you, I'd look into these issues -- or else start to seriously consider a different motherboard and/or tower.

gshockxc
November 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM
A few things kinda jump out at me. Number one... Is there a reason you're going with a Micro ATX motherboard? Secondly, just thought I'd point out that the mobo supports 1066Mhz DDR and you've linked to 800Mhz DDR. That memory will work but the motherboard accepts faster. Lastly, the mobo is what I would call adequate, but just barely. You're not really leaving yourself much room for future expansion with that form-factor and the board itself is, in my opinion, pretty limited. Maybe you've considered this already but I just thought I'd toss out my two-cent's worth.

I appreciate the feedback. I went to a hardware forum, explained what I wanted, and asked for some suggestions, and bought some parts. Did that before coming here. Bad move. Still, here I am.

First, no there's no reason I went with that. It was what someone suggested, and I don't yet know enough to know why it's good or bad. I have an older full tower that I could use also. Maybe this will be a "first-try" box, and I'll give it to my son.

Second, I didn't realize that I could use faster ram, another oversight. But I think I made my decision on price, and capacity, again without really being educated enough to know that I could pick something better.

Third, I wasn't really looking for growth when I built this system. I guess I was thinking that it would be a "basic" system that would be plenty powerful enough to get familiar with Ubuntu, practice, and figure out what I want in a bigger system the next time I build one.

In all of this, I have to ask you, what is it about my choices that limits the system? What is limiting about the motherboard? Is it the number of PCI slots? Capacity? Ability to upgrade to a faster CPU? I don't really know. I'm a noob.

Thanks for your feedback

EDIT: I built up most of the system already, except for what's mention in my first post. I didn't have any problem with length of cables other than the 4-pin power to the board. The mobo panel is hinged and tips out on the side, so you can't get it all way down without disconnecting this. Other than that, I've got plenty of room. I don't have ribbon cables in yet, because I don't have drives installed. You're right, though. It's not a big case. Front panel connectors came with the case, so they were already built-in to reach the board.

Therion
November 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM
Okay, well my first question is: Does the motherboard fit in the case correctly? Meaning can you screw it down to the tray properly, get the tray in the case and have the rear panel connectors line up correctly? If that's a "yes", then you're good to go; the rest, really, are details and things like cable connections can be overcome if you run into any and it sounds like so far you're doing okay. As I said, I've never tried to put a Micro mobo into a mid-size case. Still, putting three pounds of flour in a five-pound bag is different than trying to put six pounds of flour into a five-pound bag.

As for the motherboard itself; let me be clear, there's nothing wrong with it, it's a fine board. Nothing about it "excites" me, but it'll definitely get you through the night.

Had I been making suggestions I probably would have told you to go with an Intel Core2 processor over anything AMD at this point. That's based on a price vs. performance calculation. Secondly I would have steered you away from onboard graphics. That's more a personal thing and quite debatable, but IMO there's no point in paying for them when discrete graphics solutions (meaning video cards) are so cheap these days and you get a better payout in performance for what you're paying.

Still, when I look at what you're getting for $75 I have to say... That's a lot of board in a small package for what you're dishing out.

gshockxc
November 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM
Therion: This is all really good information. It's tremendously helpful because you're educating me as to why one thing is good over another. In some instances, yes, it's just user preference, but also depending on what you're doing. Right now, I'm just exploring, and I wanted to limit this system to keep the cost down. As I learn, this one will be a hand-me down to someone else, and I'll build a better one (this time with your input first, of course)

Thanks again for your time.

Jive Turkey
November 21st, 2008, 05:43 PM
When I built my last box, I scrutinized the mobo in particular for reports on linux compatibility, the the gpu card was next. Hard drives and ram seem to always work. The wireless card you are considering warrants in-depth investigation into the quality of the drivers and performance.

One helpful resource is the newegg customer comments, for the product you linked to I found a linux comment, you could get around the audio issue with an addon pci card, I hope you don't have NIC issues, those can be frustrating.
newegg customer review

Cons: Linux:
PATA doesn't work. At all. Period. Stick with SATA.
Audio doesn't work either. At least, not yet.
NIC requires a recent kernel (for Suse, release 11 or newer)

You might be pleasantly surprised to find that it all works beautifully with ubuntu:)

gshockxc
November 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM
You might be pleasantly surprised to find that it all works beautifully with ubuntu:)

I'm hoping that's the case. I did see that review on Newegg, and that's what drove me to post here.

I could go with a hard line to start, and go wireless later. It's just a convenience factor.

I wanted to hear what others have said about wireless before I go jump in.

Kellemora
November 21st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hi GSH

I'm not going to be much help here, I'm chiming in ONLY because of your power supply size. Although it's technically plenty, we've had to replace most of our 300 to 350 power supplies this past couple of years. They don't burn out per se, they just start leaking RF causing the monitors to jiggle. The difference in price isn't much, 39 bucks vs 64 bucks for 650 watt fully filtered power supply.

With all the stuff we run through USB these days that don't have separate power supplies, it never hurts to have all the power you need. And they seem to run cooler too!

TTUL
Gary

Therion
November 21st, 2008, 09:14 PM
You might be pleasantly surprised to find that it all works beautifully with ubuntu ...
Okay the user-comment on PATA not working: WTH? Does s/he mean to imply that PATA itself is not Linux compatible? That's ridiculous so they must mean the PATA drive-controller is not Linux compatible, right? Well, saying the PATA drive-controller isn't Linux compatible is just as stupid. Dismiss this persons opinion's. I'm thinking s/he's an idiot.

The LAN Chipset: Yep, that's a risk. I know nothing about those RealTek chipsets. Chances are you'll be fine. I think... If not, a $20 Dlink PCI card should get you up and running.

The PSU (Power Supply): Any PSU that starts leaking RF is crap, pure and simple, and was the day you bought it. Do NOT skimp on the PSU. Buy a brand name (e.g. Antec, Thermaltake, PC Power & Cooling) and rest easy. I have PSU's I use for testing that are 6 years old and put out power as clean and smooth as the day they were made.

egalvan
November 21st, 2008, 09:37 PM
Okay the user-comment on PATA not working: WTH? Does s/he mean to imply that PATA itself is not Linux compatible? That's ridiculous so they must mean the PATA drive-controller is not Linux compatible, right? Well, saying the PATA drive-controller isn't Linux compatible is just as stupid. Dismiss this persons opinion's. I'm thinking s/he's an idiot.

Probably had the PATA disabled in BIOS.
I fixed an idiot's, er, customer's "problem" PATA drive issues by checking the BIOS. :)

Could also be a bad cable, bad drive, or wrong jumpers on the drive?

Nah, just easier to blame Linux. Everybody KNOWS it' s piece of junk.

Therion
November 21st, 2008, 09:56 PM
Could also be a bad cable, bad drive, or wrong jumpers on the drive?

Nah, just easier to blame Linux. Everybody KNOWS it' s piece of junk.
Thank you.

Problem: PATA drive not being recognized.

Possible Causes: I can think of, oh... About a hundred.

This Einstein's Conclusion: Linux isn't PATA compatible! omgzorz!!!111!

/Urge to Kill... RISING.

mangurt
November 21st, 2008, 10:28 PM
Thank you.

Problem: PATA drive not being recognized.

Possible Causes: I can think of, oh... About a hundred.

This Einstein's Conclusion: Linux isn't PATA compatible! omgzorz!!!111!

/Urge to Kill... RISING.

God Therion, You always kill me with your insight!!! :lolflag:

OMG!! It works!!! Can't be windows....Must pay people to fix my windows computer so I can surf myspace!!!

LowSky
November 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM
I just built a new machine and its running great!

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128090)
AMD Phenom 9950 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103291).
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166)
re-used the following
GIGABYTE GV-NX86T256H GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125070)
LIAN LI PC-A16 A Silver (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112131)

Therion
November 21st, 2008, 11:50 PM
I just built a new machine and its running great!
LIAR!!!

We all know AMD processors aren't compatible with Linux! Or Ubuntu!! Stop lying, you liar!!! GAWD... You're such a liar!

/:lolflag: ...
//okay, okay i'll stop now...
///has been warned once already...

gshockxc
November 22nd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Gary,
Thanks for the tip. For now, I don't expect to need all of the power I have, and I don't yet know enough about what I 'might' do with the system to know how much more power I would need. But I do appreciate your comments. I hadn't considered how quickly I could use up the capacity that I've got.

I appreciate your help.

-gshockxc

gshockxc
November 22nd, 2008, 05:13 AM
LIAR!!!

We all know AMD processors aren't compatible with Linux! Or Ubuntu!! Stop lying, you liar!!! GAWD... You're such a liar!

/:lolflag: ...
//okay, okay i'll stop now...
///has been warned once already...

You guys crack me up!! Even the joking around is teaching me new stuff all the time. This is great. Well, it's good to get some perspective on what works, and what just takes some effort to figure out. The mobo came with on-board ethernet, so I'll use that to start, but it's nice to know that going wireless isn't going to be a HUGE issue.

Therion, LowSky, Mangurt, egalavan, jive turkey, Kellemora, thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I'm sure I'll be back asking more silly questions soon enough.

-gshockxc