PDA

View Full Version : Torrent

Oliver.BS
November 21st, 2008, 10:18 AM
Which is the best torrent software available on Ubuntu ?

Phreaker
November 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM
Deluge

Oliver.BS
November 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks.

Oliver.BS
November 21st, 2008, 10:41 AM
this is going to sound stupid but how do i now get music I know you need to find a website but can you tell me in an easy way the steps to download something ?

renzokuken
November 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM
i suspect it might be against site policy for us to answer this in regards to music/films/games etc.

however, to use a torrent, simply download the tiny torrent file (e.g. Ubuntu-linux-8.10.torrent). then open this file with your torrent client (e.g. Deluge, KTorrent, Transmission). the client will ask where you want to save the actual file and start downloading it.

Oliver.BS
November 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks for that I actually played around while I was waiting and did it thanks again for helping me I know it was kinda a illegal question

If some one wants to delete it so have the evidence go ah

Northsider
November 24th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Torrents in of themselves are NOT illegal. I prefer Ktorrent.

earthpigg
November 24th, 2008, 01:11 AM
this is going to sound stupid but how do i now get music I know you need to find a website but can you tell me in an easy way the steps to download something ?

i will assume your intent is to find downloads of music you already own a physical CD to, which is legal.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/851/google_find_free_mp3s_wmas_oggs_and_other_music_fi les/

is the easiest way.

unknown03
November 24th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I prefer Ktorrent or uTorrent 1.7.7 under wine

jdong
November 24th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Popular torrent clients include Deluge, KTorrent, and Azureus on the GUI side, rtorrent on the command-line side. Many view the default Transmission client as a bit too simplistic for their tastes.

I personally played a big role at one point with KTorrent maintenance and Azureus maintenance, so I have the most experience with those two, which should be solid performers.

simtaalo
November 24th, 2008, 01:49 AM
def try ktorrent out, fastest client i've ever used, i was shocked at how much faster it was than other clients i used.

init1
November 24th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Eh, I just use transmission. Good enough for me.

sharon.gmc
November 24th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I think it's still Deluge. . .

BOBSONATOR
November 24th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Torrents in of themselves are NOT illegal. I prefer Ktorrent.

ktorrent is really nice!

doorknob60
November 24th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Ktorrent is my personal favorite, but Deluge is almost as good IMO.

TBOL3
November 24th, 2008, 03:13 AM
It's ktorrent for me.

handy
November 24th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Eh, I just use transmission. Good enough for me.

Me too, on Leopard & any distro' I run.

Transmission is upgraded/improved really frequently, I really like the dedication that the dev's of Transmission have to their work.

For anyone who need more complexity than Transmission offers I highly recommend rtorrent, here is a great howto for setting up torrent client with rtorrent by K.Mandla:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/05/02/howto-use-rtorrent-like-a-pro/

RiceMonster
November 24th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Deluge suites my needs perfectly. I'm not huge into torrents, but Deluge was the exact thing I was looking for when I first started with Linux.

buddah1620
April 4th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I've been using deluge for a little over a year now. I torrent almost exclusively from demonoid. I almost never have to search beyond that. Is anyones share ration out-of-wack? Mine varies between 1.25 - 1.29. And I KNOW my share ratio should be through the roof! Any thoughts?

tjwoosta
April 4th, 2009, 05:09 AM
EDIT:thread revival?

mkendall
April 4th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I've been using deluge for a little over a year now. I torrent almost exclusively from demonoid. I almost never have to search beyond that. Is anyones share ration out-of-wack? Mine varies between 1.25 - 1.29. And I KNOW my share ratio should be through the roof! Any thoughts?

Do you share many external torrents? Those don't count toward the ratio.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Do you share many external torrents? Those don't count toward the ratio.

ratio this, i do torrents, 24/7, i like to give back.

at any one time i upload at least 3 torrents

kamitsukai
April 4th, 2009, 09:28 AM
my ratio's dreadful although I suspect this has to do with my measly 40kb/s upload...;)

billgoldberg
April 4th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Which is the best torrent software available on Ubuntu ?

Transmission get the job done rather nicely.

Deluge is good too, with more options than Transmission.

Ktorrent is OK as well, but it's qt.

cb951303
April 4th, 2009, 10:14 AM
how is aria2's torrent support? is it any good?

marcelo.matos
April 25th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I really like transmission. Easy, simple and already installed.

PS: I have a question: Does anyone knows if transmission is compatible with demonoid? (Yesterday I registered, but their forums are down and I didn't found this info in their site).

.Maleficus.
April 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Demonoid's ratio tracker is very poor and Demonoid knows this. Because Demonoid is both public and private (and even when you are a user doesn't require a share minimum) nobody cares enough to fix it. My ratio is severly out of whack too- it never gave me any credit for the torrent I uploaded, which would have put me somewhere in the 3.0 to 4.0 range. Like I said, it doesn't matter though.

marcelo.matos: You can use torrents from anywhere with any client. I download from a whole bunch of places using uTorrent on Windows, Deluge occasionally and mostly rtorrent.

marcelo.matos
April 30th, 2009, 04:09 AM
.Maleficus.: I wanted to know if Transmission support the "Demonoid protocol", to measure the ratio, but you already answered that it doesn't matter. The ratio doesn't work properly.

CJ Master
April 30th, 2009, 06:00 AM
i will assume your intent is to find downloads of music you already own a physical CD to, which is legal.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/851/google_find_free_mp3s_wmas_oggs_and_other_music_fi les/

is the easiest way.

It IS actually illegal, but nobody really cares.

Wiebelhaus
April 30th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Deluge

I second this!

kpkeerthi
April 30th, 2009, 07:15 AM
+1 for Deluge.

Orlsend
April 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM
+1 for Deluge.

I concur.

1+