PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] black screen at bootup and for installation

ubiubi
November 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM
Hi all
I recently changed over from comfusion and back to Hardy. I had tested a ne Graphics card ATI 1800XT and envygn installed the correct driver and so I was able to enjoy all desktop effects. The probs started after I installed Hardy over the comfusion install. All worked well except hardy would not let me enable desktop effects. I enabled all reposotories and installed the correct version of ENVYGN and installed the driver. I did not immediately reboot but activated desktop effects and a file was then downloaded by the system. I then rebooted.
Problem, I was confronted by the low graphics mode three button window. I chose to ignore and I got a black screen with a flashing hyphen. I then chose the configure button and chose the graphics option suggested. When I finally got into Ubuntu I discovered my keyboard confuguration had completely changed to an American setup (My chosen language is ENglish , my actual Keyboard configuration is French (I live in France)) with now way of changing this in the keyboard configuration tool!
I paniced and reinstalled Hardy. Now Iget the grub menu and whan I select Hardy from the top of the menu I get the dreaded black screen. If I try to reinstall from the CD I get the opening menu options. I select Install, or try ubuntu without changing your system and the result is the same black screen imediately.

I used supergrub disc to restore the MBR, thinking perhaps grub was causing problems. Xp boot fine (Thank god, my wife would not be pleased!) but I still cant reinstall Ubuntu. I suppose it might be possible to reinstall the grub menu with supergrub disk and bootup in the recovery mode but beyond that I don't know if it would succed. Should I use GPARTED to format the partion?

Any suggestions at all wouldbe gratefully received!

Cheers