PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't seem to partition??

mike.fro
November 21st, 2008, 07:45 AM
Hello All,
So i've basically had it with my Windows XP and have now decided to go back to Ubuntu which I should have never left. Now I still have my Ubuntu 7.10 CD and have that in right now (using the live CD now actually) and started to install and I am now at the Partition screen but I can't seem to get anywhere.

I still have Windows XP installed due to all my files and stuff and would just like to have a dual boot. But when I click the "Guided - resize the partition and use the freed space" It doesn't want to let me do that. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, it says that selected disk is too small to be automatically partitioned yet my hard drive is 300gb and I have nearly 200gb free. When I clicked ok, it just brings me to another screen that doesn't want to work.

Any hints? I'm guessing my best option would be to go back in Windows and partition my hard drive using a program on there?

Thanks for any help.

Partyboi2
November 21st, 2008, 09:12 AM
You can use gparted (System>Admin>Partition Editor) on the live cd to resize your windows partition then run the installer again and choose to use the free continuous space. Or use gparted to create the ubuntu partitions then start the installer and choose 'manual' and set the mount points.

mike.fro
November 21st, 2008, 09:36 AM
You can use gparted (System>Admin>Partition Editor) on the live cd to resize your windows partition then run the installer again and choose to use the free continuous space. Or use gparted to create the ubuntu partitions then start the installer and choose 'manual' and set the mount points.

Ah, I decided to completely get rid of Windows. Just burnt my files and stuff to a CD and now I've just got done upgrading to 8.04 and now i'm upgrading to 8.10.

So far so good :)

GOODBYE WINDOWS! :popcorn: