PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] need help downgrading Firefox

akahige
November 21st, 2008, 07:18 AM
Running Hardy on amd64. After upgrading to Firefox 3.0.4, the browser is chewing so much of my available CPU cycles that the desktop keeps freezing. (CPU only; not memory or swap.) I'd like to try dropping back to the previous version (3.0.3) to see if that fixes the problem -- but I haven't been able to figure out how.

Remarkably, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Flash, since I killed npviewer.bin and it had no effect.

Can anyone help me out here...?

frankleeee
November 21st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Running Hardy on amd64. After upgrading to Firefox 3.0.4, the browser is chewing so much of my available CPU cycles that the desktop keeps freezing. (CPU only; not memory or swap.) I'd like to try dropping back to the previous version (3.0.3) to see if that fixes the problem -- but I haven't been able to figure out how.

Remarkably, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Flash, since I killed npviewer.bin and it had no effect.

Can anyone help me out here...?

I think you can do a force to the previous in synaptic. Yes just look up FF have package open preferences-general-tick package properties in main window click on FF3 and click on packages then force.

akahige
November 21st, 2008, 07:30 AM
There is an option for "force version" in Synaptic -- but the only available options are the current version, and the original 3.0-b5 package. None of the intervening releases are listed.

Is there another repo (that I could add) that might have them?

cariboo
November 21st, 2008, 07:44 AM
Instead of trying to down grade, have you tried creating a new profile to see if that will make any difference. If you keep the same profile while downgrading you may run into the same problem. The profile is located in ~/.mozilla, it is a hidden directory. To view the hidden files nad directories, open PLaces-->Home Folder and press Ctrl-h.

Jim

frankleeee
November 21st, 2008, 07:49 AM
There is an option for "force version" in Synaptic -- but the only available options are the current version, and the original 3.0-b5 package. None of the intervening releases are listed.

Is there another repo (that I could add) that might have them? Did you tick the preferences-general show package properties in main window so that you see below the package lists 5 choices description, common, dependencies, installed files versions. On my 3 computers if versions is ticked it shows FF 3.03 which you would click on then force. I believe it will reload it but you have to get to the preferences to expose these 5 choices below the package lists.

akahige
November 21st, 2008, 08:18 AM
Did you tick the preferences-general show package properties in main window so that you see below the package lists 5 choices description, common, dependencies, installed files versions. On my 3 computers if versions is ticked it shows FF 3.03 which you would click on then force. I believe it will reload it but you have to get to the preferences to expose these 5 choices below the package lists.

I didn't know about the show package properties option. That's pretty cool. Thanks for the tip.

However, I'm not seeing versions different from the two that I mentioned in the earlier post.

Instead of trying to down grade, have you tried creating a new profile to see if that will make any difference. If you keep the same profile while downgrading you may run into the same problem.
The new profile thing is pretty obvious -- but I have to admit, I didn't try it before posting. I haven't had any problems with profile corruption on linux, or on FF3, but you were right. It IS a profile corruption issue, so I guess I need to rebuild the thing.

Thanks!