PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon computers hacked

73ckn797
November 21st, 2008, 05:05 AM
Could they be running Microsoft OS?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/11/20/pentagon-cyber-siege-unprecedented-attack/

zmjjmz
November 21st, 2008, 05:14 AM
This really should of been a policy way before this attack.
Actually it really should of been a policy on the military's computers with sensitive data.

Hopefully they can learn to just scan any devices before they get mounted.

michande03
November 21st, 2008, 05:26 AM
it's flabbergasting that it can happen when the military and nsa and such gets that amount of money to make it safe

zmjjmz
November 21st, 2008, 05:47 AM
it's flabbergasting that it can happen when the military and nsa and such gets that amount of money to make it safe

It really makes you wonder where most of that money goes :-k

mips
November 21st, 2008, 09:21 AM
It really makes you wonder where most of that money goes :-k

$10 000 toilet seats & hammers ;)

RealG187
November 22nd, 2008, 05:15 AM
Banning removable media won't help.

Just having a device plugged in won't do anything unless you execute something bad (there might be flashdrive viruses that use autorun)

73ckn797
November 22nd, 2008, 06:11 AM
Typical government results doing things in a government way. I wonder how many Congressmen MS has at their disposal?

K.Mandla
November 22nd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Wonders never cease. I wonder why in the world US military computers would be susceptible to viruses.

And I wonder who in the world edits Fox web news. Very sloppy writing.

P.S.: Shifted to the cafe.

myusername
November 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
wow...and these guys are supposed to be protecting us

Giant Speck
November 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Here is an article (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/11/21/source-cyber-attack-pentagon-come-china/) that was published yesterday. It seems that the cyber attack may have originated in Russia, among other suspected foreign countries. The military had originally theorized that the attack originated in China, but they have dismissed that and shifted the focus in the investigation to Russia.

pp.
November 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Very sloppy writing.

Looks much like the work of a 'bot assembling random phrases.

Most assertions about the malware, its vector and its payload in that article are contradictory, as are the assertions about the measures taken.

"Commercial malware", indeed.

However, it is still credible that the DoD has IT security issues.

zmjjmz
November 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
And I wonder who in the world edits Fox web news. Very sloppy writing.

I personally don't expect much better from Fox.

DrMelon
November 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
So this was Bill Gates's plan all along! To create an OS that the military trust, but leave a huge gap in it so he can take it down!

:P
:popcorn:

fatality_uk
November 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
So none of this "hacking" data is available for peer review and as such, the people who see the reports form the security services around the world are politicians who wouldn't know a bit from a byte.

Said security serivces then ask for millions of £/$ whatever to protect from attacks!!!!