PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KDE Looks like windows 3.1 - What's Up?

joey-elijah
November 21st, 2008, 02:22 AM
Installed KDE alongside my Gnome to find out what the fuss was about.

After arriving at a very nice looking desktop; nice taskbar and wallpaper; i open firefox and a folder only to find they look like the back end of windows 95.

Is there something up with my KDE?! My GnomeDE is luscious - admittedly after some tweaking, so i have to admit KDE has disappointed me.

Installed KDE-Compiz but even after enabling half the effects i normally use; they don't work.

KDE also seems to run slower than a tortoise on stilts; the KDE widgets when moved leave a lovely artifact trail behind them. I managed to get emerald working though so at least i have some nice borders!

It runs every so slowly - and my computer is hardly a sloth - dual core 3.0ghz, 1gb 8500gt, 4gb ram (using 32bit ubuntu though.)

I've attatched a screenshot. Anyone who can point out how you make it look less windows 3.1 will certainly be thanked!

Also, why don't my downloaded item appear on the desktop, yet are in the 'desktop' folder?

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1867/screenshotgv4.png

joey-elijah
November 21st, 2008, 03:01 AM
What's even worse is how fast and luscious KDE apps are in Gnome now! >_<

Kelvari
November 21st, 2008, 06:54 AM
The reason that your downloaded items aren't appearing on your desktop is because there is supposed to be a Folder Viewer widget on your desktop that has the ~/Desktop folder as its 'target' folder.

As for the graphical glitches, the only thing that comes to mind is whether or not you need to install drivers for your video card? Perhaps there's a regression that you need to report to someone?

danf_1979
November 21st, 2008, 07:18 AM
Install gtk-qt-engine.

Description: theme engine using Qt 4 for GTK+ 2.x
The GTK-Qt Theme Engine (also known as gtk-qt-engine) is a GTK+ 2 theme engine that calls Qt 4 to
do the actual drawing. This makes your GTK+ 2 applications look almost like real Qt 4 applications
and gives you a more unified desktop experience.

Please note that this package is targeted at KDE 4 users and therefore provides a way to configure
it from within Systemsettings.

joey-elijah
November 22nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
i think i prefer gnome's 'simple' ethos. As much of a massive geek as i am, KDE (everytime i've tried it) either confuses me, doesn't work as well as gnome OUT-OF-THE-BOX, isn't up for being tweaked and moulded into pretty shiz like gnome is.

and the fact my graphics card works flawlessly in Gnome but not in KDE is just another 'meh' in the kde book.

graysky
November 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
KDE (everytime i've tried it) either confuses me, doesn't work as well as gnome OUT-OF-THE-BOX, isn't up for being tweaked and moulded into pretty shiz like gnome is.

Agreed. I tried KDE three times now, and each time went back to gnome. KDE just looks too much like windows for my tastes.

theresonant
November 22nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Kinda agree... I wanted to try KDE too, but it looked way too much like Windows (and I'm quite fed up with Windows interface). Even if Ubuntu came by default with KDE, I would have probably tolerated it, but not liked it - and as soon as I would have heard about another desktop environment, I would have removed KDE. (Sorry about the weird tenses used, they're probably wrong).

I'm waiting for Enlighenment DR17 to come out... Maybe I'll drop Gnome, but still keep it, just in case.

armageddon08
November 22nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
I'm waiting for Enlighenment DR17 to come out... Maybe I'll drop Gnome, but still keep it, just in case.
Is it even going to come out ? I've lost all hopes of it doing so. But on a serious note, it's going to set gold standards when it comes out.

kernelhaxor
November 22nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
i think i prefer gnome's 'simple' ethos. As much of a massive geek as i am, KDE (everytime i've tried it) either confuses me, doesn't work as well as gnome OUT-OF-THE-BOX, isn't up for being tweaked and moulded into pretty shiz like gnome is.

Quoting Linus Torvalds:

This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of
Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will
use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long
since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.

You say you too are 'confused' .. Sounds like Gnome is what you want .. KDE is for ppl like me who need rich desktop environments and applications ..

and the fact my graphics card works flawlessly in Gnome but not in KDE is just another 'meh' in the kde book.

KDE 4.1 is still not rock stable but it is getting there .. it will be in a year ..

joey-elijah
November 22nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Aside from the sheer rudeness of implying that i may be a tool cos i use Gnome, put anyone in front of an DE they're not familiar with and they'll be confused.

I'm not "stupid", and nor do you know that despite your opinions pulled from Linus. I'm a 20 year full-time freelance journalist for 2 tech magazines in the UK, and i'm hardly your typical 'Windows User'.

Sanctimonious attitudes over DE's a bit a rich. Whatever "rich desktop environments and applications" you use probably work on Gnome, and i find the Gnome desktop to be a very rich and very powerful enviroment. And given pretty much everyone uses the same applications on Linux, i highly doubt they're any better on KDE than Gnome.

I also use OpenSolaris, and Gnome comes with that. Getting all inegalatarian over a DE is pathetic, and i for one would get out more if i were you.

kernelhaxor
November 26th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Aside from the sheer rudeness of implying that i may be a tool cos i use Gnome, put anyone in front of an DE they're not familiar with and they'll be confused.

I'm not "stupid", and nor do you know that despite your opinions pulled from Linus. I'm a 20 year full-time freelance journalist for 2 tech magazines in the UK, and i'm hardly your typical 'Windows User'.

Sanctimonious attitudes over DE's a bit a rich. Whatever "rich desktop environments and applications" you use probably work on Gnome, and i find the Gnome desktop to be a very rich and very powerful enviroment. And given pretty much everyone uses the same applications on Linux, i highly doubt they're any better on KDE than Gnome.

I also use OpenSolaris, and Gnome comes with that. Getting all inegalatarian over a DE is pathetic, and i for one would get out more if i were you.

It wasn't my intention at all to offend you .. My quote seems to have made my post rude .... sorry u got offended

First of all, I am no fanboy/inegalitarian .. I use Gnome too at my workplace where I need a simple desktop though I use KDE at home .. And I have used Gnome way more than I've used KDE ..

The reason I quoted that was he too says 'confused by functionality' and you said u got confused too .. the msg I wanted to convey was tht Gnome isn't confusing at all and might be better suited to you .. I guess I quoted a little too much .. I didn't mean to imply that Gnome users are idiots or anything of tht sort .. Nor did I judge you to be "stupid" or typical "Windows user"
Apart from the quote, all I said was that Gnome sounds like better suited for you .. since its simple, stable and doesn't come with the unnecessary (for most ppl) apps that KDE comes with ..

Again, no offence meant ..

mitchroberts
November 26th, 2008, 05:55 AM
well i will take gnome over all the others KDE to me just looks
more like a kids toy but i have only used it on knoppix std.Gnome
makes for a cleaner desktop i thank but it is what you like there
are no right or wrong...