PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost panels

conal
November 21st, 2008, 01:24 AM
Hi Folks

I have just installed Ubuntu 8.10 to a usb stick in the hope that I can take my graphics work with Scribus etc on the road.

Problem is this:

Having installed a bunch of software and rebooted several times I now have no menus or panels. Please let me know how to get them back! using alt-f2 does nothing so I cant even get a terminal!!

Kind Rgards

Conal

basilwatson
November 21st, 2008, 03:26 AM
exactly what has happened to me , though I am using Hardy Heron, an app locked up the system so I had to reboot and no panels on restart ..Alt F2 doesnt work

I can get to the failsafe terminal though

How can we sort this out ?? Is it a gconf problem or a graphics card ? (Nividia)

Kind Regards Stephen

frankleeee
November 21st, 2008, 03:57 AM
Hi Folks

I have just installed Ubuntu 8.10 to a usb stick in the hope that I can take my graphics work with Scribus etc on the road.

Problem is this:

Having installed a bunch of software and rebooted several times I now have no menus or panels. Please let me know how to get them back! using alt-f2 does nothing so I cant even get a terminal!!

Kind Rgards

Conal

Right click where you want the panel-new panel then add stuff from add to panel.

basilwatson
November 21st, 2008, 04:06 AM
Sorry we cant , the whole panel thing is gone , all you get is the ususl commands when you click on the desktop , cut paste ,,,change background ,,, and I personally cant log in as root to use synaptic to re load panels

I seem to remember that you delete the gconf file and reboot but I am not sure ,,,

Iam off googleing in a min. Ive had a similar problem with XFCE

Stephen

basilwatson
November 21st, 2008, 05:03 AM
Back in action

In a new session , ctrl alt backspace

failsafe terminal

sudo su ie make yourself root

I removed gnome-panels ( rm gnome-panels ??) I am not sure of the comand as I did it yesterday in an attempt to fix it

then apt-get install gnome-panels

log out

log back in to a gnome session

bingo panels are there ,,except , trash , mixer and user switcher

so I used synaptic and reinstalled them

So up and running as per usual

Hope this helps

Stephen

conal
November 21st, 2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks Stephen, I'll try that after work and let you know how i get on!