PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Samba Server in Wrong Workgroup

CarolinaGuy
November 21st, 2008, 01:23 AM
I'm new to Linux and ubuntu; but, after trying for days to correct this problem I given in to this request for help from the pros.

In MY NETWORK PLACES, I have two Microsoft Windows Networks - MSHOME and WORKGROUP.

IN MSHOME I have a NASLite Server.

I want the new build of my SAMBA SERVER using Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS Server Edition to be listed under MSHOME, but, it keeps showing up under WORKGROUP.

I have changed the workgroup = MSHOME in the smb.conf file

I have restarted samba using /etc/init.d/samba force-reload.

I have re-booted both the Win XP computer where I'm viewing the network and the SAMBA SERVER. And I have done these actions several times without any resolution.

Anyone have any ideas on resolving this and getting the SAMBA SERVER to show up under MSHOME.

CarolinaGuy

paultag
November 21st, 2008, 01:34 AM
its been a long time since I used Samba, but I think there is a second file. That one might be for client interaction?

I am not too sure, but hunt around, also consider resetting the uptime ( give it the 'ol reboot )

Cheers,
Tag

Kellemora
November 21st, 2008, 02:04 AM
Hi CG

As illogical as this sounds, try it anyway!

Put msHome as your workgroup as planned, BUT, reboot the system three times in a row and see if that fixes it.

My reason for saying that is Ubuntu does NOT look at the smb.conf file when it boots up! Instead it looks to a /var/lib/samba configuration which is a binary file, not editable by us humanoids.

What APPEARS to be happening here is when you boot up, Ubuntu looks to /var/lib/samba and uses the configuration file in it.

However, if you boot up a second time within a short time period it says, hummmm wonder why the user did that, maybe I should look at the smb.conf file he/she's expecting me to look at.
So it does and boots up like you want, but for that one session only. The next time you boot up it's back to the /var/lib/samba file for it's directions again.

But, if you boot up a third time in quick succession, it overwrites the /var/lib/samba file with the smb.conf file.

I may not be explaining it right and some Guru will say that's impossible as computers can't think about what the user is doing, hi hi.........

But I have 8 computers here, and the ONLY way to keep the network running correctly is to reboot the computer a change was made to three times, after that it will work just fine, until another update comes down the pike, then we start all over again rebooting each computer 3 times to get things humming along again as they should.

I figure, since it works consistently, on 8 different computers, there must be some truth behind it, no matter how illogical it may sound!

TTUL
Gary