PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Some OpenOffice quirks

benguin
November 21st, 2008, 12:31 AM
Hi there,
I have a few issues with OpenOffice that I've been trying to sort out -- some for a few days, some for a few months. I hope someone here would be able to help me out with at least some of these :). Here goes.

1. I cannot install the Sun Presenter Console extension in OpenOffice 3.0 in Intrepid. This is an extension that shows the presentation on a second screen, while showing notes, some adjacent slides, timing etc to the presenter on his computer (most commonly a laptop). Powerpoint has this built in. The extension is available from Sun's website here (http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/presenter-screen) if anyone else is interested. When I try to install the extension via the extension manager, I get a message saying loading component library has failed for presenterscreen.uno.so, or something along that line. Any ideas? My OpenOffice is installed from Ubuntu repos, version OOO300m9 build 9358, ubuntu package 3.0.0-2ubuntu1.

2. Again in OpenOffice Impress, I cannot get a video to loop in Ubuntu. I can embed a video fine, and I know about the button on the multimedia bar that enables video looping. Unfortunately that has no effect. In Windows, in same versions of OpenOffice (both 2.x and 3.0), it works. In Linux, it does not. I have tried the same presentation with same videos, in the same format too (tried divx, mov, wmv). I'm wondering-- anyone else had a similar experience?

3. While presenting slide shows which has video embedded, the first time that slide is shown, the video comes out all black. If I stop the show there, and restart from the same slide, it works. Only the first time, I get this weird behavior. Again, it happens with many video formats. My machine is a 2.0 GHz dual core AMD Turiox X2, with 2 Gigs of RAM, so I think CPU power is not an issue. I'm preplexed.

The most that I use OpenOffice for is giving presentations. And unfortunately there are some big show-stoppers that still prevents me from using Impress all the time. These "glitches" mean, Powerpoint and thus Windows still has a place on my hard drive.

Thanks a lot for reading through this post. I'd love some answers, and hopefully get rid of powerpoint for good :).

Regards,
-J

lyni
November 22nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
perhaps someone in the OOO Forums may be able to help.
user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/