PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Nautilus falling down, falling down, falling down...

duott
November 20th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I'm experiencing problems with Nautilus since upgrade to 8.10 (don't remember this happening on 8.04). Nautilus crashes everytime I'm trying to open a movie (with Mplayer of VLC). The movie itself plays OK, but Nautilus freezes for several seconds and then goes gray and I have to kill it with xkill. After that, I can't even start it again, so I have to type "pkill nautilus" in the console and only after that it gets back to life. Sometimes Firefox also goes gray at this moment, but then, unlike Nautilus, revives on its own.

From time to time Nautilus also crashes for no (apparent) reason at all.

Is someone else having such problems? Any ideas? I don't want to switch to Thunar or anything because I really appreciate the tabs feature which came with 8.10. If only it didn't crash every now and then ](*,)

At several occasions it all crashed so hard that took the whole system with it (it became unresponsive to anything and I had to reboot manually).

By the way, I checked the memory usage, and it turns out that when I have a movie running, it's no less then 1600MB (sometimes more) of 2GB. Is it all right? Any ideas what can be possibly taking so much?