PDA

View Full Version : HP Pavillion range with video card problems?

simtaalo
November 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
i've had my HP pavillion nearly 2 years, but talking to my dad earlier he was telling me that hp pavillion laptops have had problems with them burning out, something to do with video card problems.

i did a google search, and it seemed to be mainly the z series models. has anyone had problems with the dv series or know anyone who has?

Redache
November 20th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Is it the 8 Series Nvidia cards that are the problem? there was a problem a few months ago with 8 Series Discreet/Integrated Cards having a major design flaw that caused the Laptops to die within a year. If there's no problem with yours, I wouldn't worry about it.

SunnyRabbiera
November 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
You could do a recall search for your model, I think HP did do a recall on the z series and rather if they have something wrong with your series they may reimburse you.

simtaalo
November 20th, 2008, 09:09 PM
yeah when i did the search i was finding links to people having problems with the z series.

i just think my dad is chucking some hearsay out there. he used to be pretty in touch with things, but thesedays it seems he reacts to things without properly checking things out.

mind you i'm probably tempting fate by saying that LOL hopefully not

SunnyRabbiera
November 20th, 2008, 09:15 PM
well you can read up on your model if it is a more recent one, see what video card it has and compare it to the offending card that caused the issue.
If you have the bad card HP has to reimburse you if it blows out no matter if you are under warrenty or not

simtaalo
November 20th, 2008, 10:08 PM
model stated in sig, its not a recent model, coming upto 2 years next feb/march.

xpod
November 20th, 2008, 11:27 PM
i did a google search, and it seemed to be mainly the z series models. has anyone had problems with the dv series or know anyone who has?

A friend of mine has a DV6000 with this very problem it seems.
The laptop is only just out of warranty but HP are having none of it in this case.

Mabey you can find out if your model is covered on here.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3308892&lang=en

EDIT:I just noticed you are in the UK and thats US & Canada only.

KiwiNZ
November 21st, 2008, 12:01 AM
Yes my DV9301TX died