PDA

View Full Version : Ask the Open University (UK) to accept open file formats

bobbob94
November 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM
The Open Source Consortium recently challenged the Open University to move away from promoting Microsoft and other proprietary products and encourage the use of free and open source software instead (see here (http://www.opensourceconsortium.org/content/view/83/55/)) For those from outside the UK, the Open University is a mainly distance learning based institution, originally set up to allow access to higher education to a much wider range of people than traditional universities.

As an OU student myself, I was very interested to hear this, as I've been asking them to allow work to be submitted in open file formats rather than only proprietary ones. All students are given a copy of Star Office but you're not allowed to submit work in its native format, .odt, and I have to send my work in as Microsoft Word files (.doc) instead, occasional formatting glitches and all. Considering how easy it would be for them to allow submissions as .odt (there's a Sun plug in for MS Office to allow it read, write and edit .odt's, or tutors could install Star/Open Office alongside MS Office) it's annoying that they don't do so.

Any other Open Office users here feeling the same? And if so have you tried asking them to allow open formats at the open university? :(

smoker
November 20th, 2008, 07:09 PM
i agree that the OU, as well as all other UK educational establishments, should be promoting free and open source. it seems strange they'll hand out staroffice, yet not accept work created in its use, unless the user changes format.

i suppose there are (a few) exceptions where nothing but proprietory software will suffice for certain courses, but free and open source should be the first choice and recommendation of the OU where possible.

Bölvağur
November 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
it seems strange they'll hand out staroffice, yet not accept work created in its use, unless the user changes format.

Indeed. It is like when participating in long distance running, where everyone is allowed to buy lead shoes from a big shoe store, no running shoes allowed.
... oh well.. that wasnt very well phrased by me.

Redache
November 20th, 2008, 08:31 PM
i agree that the OU, as well as all other UK educational establishments, should be promoting free and open source. it seems strange they'll hand out staroffice, yet not accept work created in its use, unless the user changes format.

I am currently doing a Foundation Year in Computing and Mathematics at a UK uni and the use of Office 2007 is mandatory. No free copies or anything so I've had to fork out for a copy of something I really won't use outside of the course.

I also agree that the Education System in Britain is far too biased and anti-competitive for its own good. Open Office is as good a replacement for what I need to do for my work but because its not Microsoft Approved it's not good enough.

Paqman
November 20th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I couldn't agree more.