PDA

View Full Version : What will become of AMD?

clubsoda
November 20th, 2008, 06:20 PM
If AMD's share price continues on its current trajectory, Ubuntuforum members should be able to empty out any loose change from their pockets and buy the company sometime in January.

My perception is that the sub-notebook and MacBook markets are still running hot but AMD is seeing almost none of that action. Extremetech reports (www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2334666,00.asp) that AMD will not challenge Atom for the low-TDP crown.

The desktop market appears to be a Core 2 smackdown.

I imagine the server market, at least in the private sector, is slipping into a coma as we speak. [This of course will affect the other chip makers too, not just AMD.]

How will AMD survive?

sn0m
November 20th, 2008, 06:36 PM
It will probably disappear....I love AMD, I remember when Anthlon XP came out and it was great, one for being faster that the equivalent Intel thing but also being very cheap compared to it. In my opinion we should thank AMD for competing Intel and bringing the price hardware down. However Intel are wining and as far as I know AMD is in deep dept. I still by their processors but not sure for how long..

gn2
November 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM
How will AMD survive?

By making chips for things other than PC's.

smartboyathome
November 20th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I think that if AMD goes out of business, then there will be no one left to compete with intel, thus they will have a monopoly. Only other company i see moving in on Intel is ARM. ARM is also the reason that I don't see AMD making much noise over in the (non-pc) electronics department.

CholericKoala
November 20th, 2008, 06:46 PM
It might be like Microsoft vs Apple awhile back...Apple was teh suck and was going under, and so to avoid the monopoly police, Microsoft invested millions of shares in Apple stock.

Seeing as how AMD came from an Intel monopoly, I'll bet Intel wants AMD to survive.

EnGorDiaz
November 20th, 2008, 06:55 PM
It might be like Microsoft vs Apple awhile back...Apple was teh suck and was going under, and so to avoid the monopoly police, Microsoft invested millions of shares in Apple stock.

Seeing as how AMD came from an Intel monopoly, I'll bet Intel wants AMD to survive.

every computer company wants competition immagine what will happen to amd after intel invests?

CholericKoala
November 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
every computer company wants competition immagine what will happen to amd after intel invests?

Hopefully they can catch up. They fell waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind. Heck, I have intel processors...

EnGorDiaz
November 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Hopefully they can catch up. They fell waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind. Heck, I have intel processors...

the quad core intel is more more better phenomx4.... that says something doesnt it

toupeiro
November 20th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Intel has an edge over AMD in the desktop world right now, but thats not their only grounds for competition... The Opteron class processor still destroys the Xeon class processor, and the i7 based Xeon has yet to see the light of day. I don't think AMD is going anywhere. Everyone seems so surprised at stock prices ... during an economic crisis! What exactly is your baseline to think AMD is going away? I stock prices like this for people like me who still have at least 30-35 more years to work are a blessing in disguise, if you're willing to take a little risk.

CholericKoala
November 20th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Maybe now is a good time to invest in AMD :)

toupeiro
November 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Maybe now is a good time to invest in AMD :)

If you're not a day trader, which I think is more of a dangerous gamble than my proposal these days, thenI think it might be a smart investment in the longer term. AMD is not going to go under.

Kaneda187
November 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Well I dont really see them going under, you can correct me if im wrong but dont AMD also operate ATI graphics cards and all that? ATI get support from console like the xbox and also other game company's....I just dont see them going under....but if they were in trouble and intel were to invest i dont think they would help them out i think they would just take them over and if thats the case its a shame

just my thoughts

CholericKoala
November 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Intel Cannot take over AMD, or Intel is screwed again. Intel was already split before, making AMD. They dont want that again.

simtaalo
November 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
well if AMD were close to going under (doesn't seem like they are though) and if that would mean a cash injection from intel that would rocket their stock price, so even on the short-term it could be a investment with some return.

SunnyRabbiera
November 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
The best way for AMD to survive is to do what intel did, expand to devices other then processors.
First they need to reformat ATI and make it friendly to all platforms, then start making stuff like wireless cards.
Intel has the market for a reason, because they made the right moves

hardyn
November 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM
somebody with deeper pockets than AMD will pop up to challenge Intel

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2006/10/19/nvidia-at-work-on-combined-cpu-with-graphic

While the link is grossy old, it does show that there are some people willing to still take on the big guns... although the next competitor will likely have to show up with a paradigm shift in computing, like the cell processor in the PS3

KiwiNZ
November 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Three things

1. A cash injection from say Intel to keep the look of competition alive
2. Be taken over, possibly by IBM
3. Cease to exist, given the lack of trading periods with out profit and the current fiscal climate this would be the more likely.

Skripka
November 20th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I hope AMD doesn't go away. AMD is the only reason why Nvidia doesn't COMPLETELY price-gouge the GPU market (like they were planning to with GTX2XX GPUs).

I have a Athlon 64X2 in my box-that for a similar frequency Intel chip-I would have paid 2-3 times what I did at time of purchase.

lisati
November 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Perhaps someone with a bit of ingenuity might even resurrect the Z80 (Zilog?) family. One machine I had (by Wang, now long gone) had a network card with a Z80 processor, and the two Commodore 128's I have gathering dust have Z80s as a second processor.....

Oh, wasn't the Z80 initially developed by ex-employess of Intel?

But getting back to AMD etc, three of my current collection of machines have Intel Inside, and one has an AMD processor which I only recently discovered had some 64-bit capabilities. (More evidence to discredit the reputation of "geek" within the in-laws' extended family.....)

Frankly, I don't normally give a toss, as long as the computer is able to some useful work, even though I might see things differently if I either worked for one of the manufactures or wanted to get more out of the machine.

mips
November 21st, 2008, 09:34 AM
Intel was already split before, making AMD.

Huh, where do you get this from?

AMD was founded by ex-Fairchild Semiconductor employees, nothing to do with Intel.

AMD is not going anywhere.

alwez_loner
November 21st, 2008, 10:18 AM
I sure hope so. I just love AMD better that Intel..

tbroderick
November 21st, 2008, 12:41 PM
Intel has the market for a reason, because they made the right moves

The Fair Trade Commissions of S. Korea and Japan would disagree, with the EU and US Fair Trade Commissions pending. Doesn't look too good for Intel with the EU, but the US is anyone's guess.

OffHand
November 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM
This (http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-Sneak-Peeks-Phenom-II-Overclocks-To-5GHz/) maybe

Valok
November 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM
I really hope AMD doesn't go under. Although I'm not using one of their chips at the moment, I love their company and what they've done for the processor market (i.e. price).

Hopefully they come out with something huge and catch back up to Intel.

ZuLuuuuuu
November 21st, 2008, 08:27 PM
It might be like Microsoft vs Apple awhile back...

Maybe all AMD needs is Steve Jobs, I think they should transfer him as the new CEO of AMD :D

clubsoda
November 21st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Everyone seems so surprised at stock prices ... during an economic crisis! What exactly is your baseline to think AMD is going away?Debt, or rather their debt/equity ratio. AMD reported $4.9b long term debt at the end of September. If this foundry deal goes through, I estimate they'll still have $2.7b debt on their own books plus their share of Foundry's debt for a total of around $3.2b. Not quite hedge fund gearing but still a worry.

They've already done the obvious things like issue fresh equity (twice), layoff staff and sell a major asset.

According to this NY Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/07/technology/07chip.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin), Advanced Technology Investment Company will "contribute $3.6 billion to $6 billion more to build or upgrade chip fabrication plants". If that means ATIC will be funding the construction works then AMD should be bouncing back strongly, so why is it still getting hammered?