PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Calling it a day!

Yezinki
November 20th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hello there every one,

I am leaving Ubuntu & the lovely forums here after some 8 months due to the needs / requirements of my profession & switching back to windows.

Had a great time with you all.

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge, experiences,

Regards,

Yezinki.

Johnsie
November 20th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I know how you feel... I'm a programmer and I'm having to use Windows for my day to day tasks. The only good thing is that I set up a server with Ubuntu that hosts the companies portal but I'm only on that when I need to do portal stuff and it doesn't have a gui.

Tom Mann
November 20th, 2008, 02:22 PM
What exactly are your needs and what can OSS do to provide?

Yezinki
November 20th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I spend hrs each day searching for drivers etc & by the start of the day am so drained out no energy left for my patients.

Than most pc peripherals don't have Ubuntu/Linux drivers.

Lastly 90% of the people & my patients use windows.

5% Dual boot.

Rest 5 % are pure Linux users.

I am so dependent on video conferencing with my partners & patients around the globe & they all use windows.

To find a correct driver for a peripheral some times takes weeks or more or at the end one has to use wine.

But I had a great experience with Ubuntu & the forum members.

Regards,

Yezinki.

Yezinki
November 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
1. Drivers issues.

2. No video conferencing soft wares btw Ubuntu & window users.

& so on.

If I have to use VBOX/wine than why not switch back??

Ascenti0n
November 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
So long, buddy. I feel your pain. I have been there a few times myself.

I too am in the (seeming minority), where my Ubuntu loaded computer is used for both work/business and pleasure.

If there are certain apps that have been compiled only for windows, or hardware you can't do without and will not work under Linux, then my friend, you have to be pragmatic when it come to your business.

If you can't dual boot, or get everything going satisfacorily in a virtual machine, then You have little choice.

eragon100
November 20th, 2008, 02:32 PM
1. Drivers issues.

2. No video conferencing soft wares btw Ubuntu & window users.

& so on.

If I have to use VBOX/wine than why not switch back??

Do you know skype is avialabe for ubuntu, with video conferencing?

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/

(BTW, ekiga, Ubuntu's default, is also avialable for windows)

If your webcam isn't supported, you can buy a supported one for about 20$, and you can look it up on this list first to see if it works before you buy:

http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Webcams (If your webcam is named in one of the driver descriptions, it will work)

Dixon Bainbridge
November 20th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I spend hrs each day searching for drivers etc & by the start of the day am so drained out no energy left for my patients.

Than most pc peripherals don't have Ubuntu/Linux drivers.

Lastly 90% of the people & my patients use windows.

5% Dual boot.

Rest 5 % are pure Linux users.

I am so dependent on video conferencing with my partners & patients around the globe & they all use windows.

To find a correct driver for a peripheral some times takes weeks or more or at the end one has to use wine.

But I had a great experience with Ubuntu & the forum members.

Regards,

Yezinki.

OS is a tool. Use whats best to get the job done. For you, its Windows. What's the problem with that? Good luck.

Sealbhach
November 20th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Fair enough. I wish you success with your patients, whatever tools you use.

elmer_42
November 20th, 2008, 03:40 PM
OS is a tool. Use whats best to get the job done. For you, its Windows. What's the problem with that?
This is the most sensible post in this thread so far. Quoted for truth!

Yezinki
November 20th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Hi there again,

I know I have not been much of help at the forums.........BUT if ever you need my expertise in ANY field feel free to ask or email.

I am still the member of these BEST FORUMS!

Regards,

Yezinki.

kellemes
November 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I know I have not been much of help at the forums.........

Even just asking questions will help others.
Linux is developing fast so chances are you'll be back some day asking yourself why you didn't come back sooner ;-)
Good luck.

Yezinki
November 20th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks for your encouraging/ positive remarks!

Yezinki
November 21st, 2008, 10:44 AM
The most I miss about Ubuntu is that my Internet upload/ download speed almost increased by 20 % vs windows.....no clues to that.

Regards,

Great Forums & Members!

Yezinki.

eternalnewbee
November 21st, 2008, 10:59 AM
Even just asking questions will help others.
Linux is developing fast so chances are you'll be back some day asking yourself why you didn't come back sooner
Good luck.
Well said kellemes.

Yezinki
November 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM
You All helped me alot & in return I could hardly assist any one.

At times I was a PIA...lol

Regards,

Yezinki.

eternalnewbee
November 21st, 2008, 03:22 PM
At times I was a PIA...lol
So you're not anymore?:-D

billgoldberg
November 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hello there every one,

I am leaving Ubuntu & the lovely forums here after some 8 months due to the needs / requirements of my profession & switching back to windows.

Regards,

Yezinki.

Bye.

frenchsquared
November 21st, 2008, 04:10 PM
I am an IT administrator for a small internet marketing firm.
I use linux when ever possible. Such as I just set up an Ubuntu ltsp
for the sales force. It is easier for me to maintain and more cost affective.

For any linux OS to be competative in the working world it would need a real replacement for Outlook. Yes I know how to yous evolution. Which will send and recieve email but will not since with the share calendars.

But more importantly you need adobe. and I done mean wine. I own 10 lincesed copies of adobe Master collection at $2700 each. They wont work in wine since you have to install the companents seperatly. The world uses adobe. Linux needs to get Adobe on board.

Its not about what can be used it is about what file extensions the rest of the world uses. I dont care about gimp it doesnt make psd which is what the printer needs. I dont care about what substitute aps are available since I am not going to pay my programmers $60 to learn something other then Dreamweaver and Photoshop.

Sorry Linux, I love you but I cant use use as my primary OS.

Yezinki
November 21st, 2008, 04:27 PM
So you're not anymore?:-D

Still would be if using Ubuntu lol.;)

Regards,

Yezinki.

PS: Shall occasionally be visiting the forums to see if I could assist some one. :)

Bruce M.
November 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM
What an absolutely interesting thread to read.

Yezinki, I wish you all the best in your future endeavours. It is so true that an OS is a tool, and people have to use the tool that is best for them.

You have a very positive attitude toward Ubuntu and Linux and I'm sure you'll be back again someday, even if it's a duel boot system. Windows for work and Ubuntu for pleasure.

I'm retired, and my computing needs are simple, Ubuntu does everything I "need" to do and so much more than those needs. But that's me and my situation. I have the whole OS to play with and learn new things, and slowly it's getting into this, sometimes, thick old skull of mine, and I'm loving every minute of it.

I see that you are going to keep coming back to the forums too, that's a good sign.

You have a great day.
Bruce

Yezinki
November 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks Brue M.

I appreciate your views & thoughts.

I adore these forums & respect all members who have guided me in one way or the other.

I wasn't of any help lol....other than being a pain in $$.

Definately, I shall keep visting the forums....they are like home to me.

If ever any one requires my assistance , which I doubt as far as Ubuntu is concerned.....as a med doc...just PM, thats all you guys need to do.

Wish you all the best in all ways....Ubuntu, Health Wealth etc.

My regards to ALL the members,

Yezinki.

linux23dragon
November 23rd, 2008, 02:30 AM
Hello there every one,

Regards,

Yezinki.

You gave it a shot. Its a pity that the webcam drivers were in rewrite to support the new standards of V4L2.

Some webcam applications do need to catch up (aMSN) as well, but it will be fixed soon.

Linux does get better every 6 months, so check out Ubuntu around the end of next year. Most issues should be gone. But it is still unclear about most TV tuners/receivers. It is possible that (like with the ATI cards) future computer hardware will have Linux support out of the box.

The times are changing very fast.