PDA

View Full Version : Why do people quote whole posts?

hyper_ch
November 20th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I notice this time and again, people quote whole posts and are referring only to a tiny part of it. Why do they do that?

lakersforce
November 20th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I notice this time and again, people quote whole posts and are referring only to a tiny part of it. Why do they do that?
Extreme lazyness?

frankleeee
November 20th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Why do you care?

SeanHodges
November 20th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Almost as annoying as top posting!

hyper_ch
November 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Why do you care?
Why don't you care?

Haven't seen top posting that much... but I agree, it makes a post less easily comprehensible.

Oh: Now I did twice a whole post quote *shame on me*

frankleeee
November 20th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I don't care because I am not a geek. ;)

JohnFH
November 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM

What is top posting?

Sub101
November 20th, 2008, 01:00 PM
**like this**

What is top posting?

Writing above the quote you are referring to.

lukjad
November 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Why do they do that?
I try to cut it down, but sometimes I don't have the times or I am distracted. If the quick reply would let me have a little more room for flexibility, like letting Firefox check for typos and letting me choose what to quote and what not to quote. I usually don't go to Advanced Reply because it takes about 3 mins to load, at least for me. And I just don't want to spend all that time just waiting. ;)

EDIT: Usually I just post then edit quickly, like now. ;)

Joeb454
November 20th, 2008, 01:12 PM

I don't know why they do that.

Usually I'm pretty good with only quoting the part I need ;)

lukjad
November 20th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I don't know why they do that.

Usually I'm pretty good with only quoting the part I need ;)
Rofl.
(Me too!)

SeanHodges
November 20th, 2008, 02:22 PM
It's when you start quoting entire responses from people in verbal discussion that you realise you've gone too far...

"Quote what drink would you like with your breakfast sir? quote. Well I would like an orange juice and black coffee please. El-oh-el."

forrestcupp
November 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Extreme lazyness?

It did my heart good to see that it only took until the first reply for someone to be a Smart Alec and quote the whole original post. :D

lswest
November 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I do cut down quotes, or avoid quoting at all and just preface my comment with an "@user", but if I do quote, and I don't have time to cut it down, I usually go back later to change it (unless I forget). So my main reason is lack of time (I usually reply while in school, so that explains it lol).

I don't really mind top posting, though sometimes it is confusing.

kpkeerthi
November 20th, 2008, 02:28 PM

To get the discussion back on track :)

lukjad
November 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
To get the discussion back on track :)
Why would we want to do that? :p

mentallaxative
November 20th, 2008, 02:32 PM
People might think you are taking their words out of context if you don't quote everything they say.

Ascenti0n
November 20th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Why do people quote whole posts?

GOOD POINT! :lolflag:

forrestcupp
November 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM
People might think you are taking their words out of context if you don't quote everything they say.
You mean like this? (from the original post) :)

I notice people and they are tiny.

SeanHodges
November 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM
You like this? from the original hyper_ch tiny.

No, I don't like it.

chucky chuckaluck
November 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Why.............?

is this better?

elmer_42
November 20th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I also don't know why they do that.

I'm usually pretty good with only quoting the part I need.

chucky chuckaluck
November 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM
i also don't know why they do that.

I'm usually pretty good with only quoting the part i need.

+1

notwen
November 20th, 2008, 03:53 PM
quoting the part I need ;)

What he said. =]

sirjoebob
November 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I do it occassionally if I'm rushing. I tthink that Ubuntu Forums should include a "quote selected" option where you can select text and then quote only that text. This would make it a lot easier to quote the portion of the message that you want.

SeanHodges
November 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I do it occassionally if I'm rushing.

Don't rush it then, take your time, and relax!

I tthink that Ubuntu Forums should include a "quote selected" option where you can select text and then quote only that text.

It does include this feature, thats how I'm quoting you more than once in this post.

This would make it a lot easier to quote the portion of the message that you want.

I don't have a lot to say about this sentence, but I quoted everything else, figured I didn't want to be accused of taking it out of context :)

sirjoebob
November 20th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I don't have a lot to say about this sentence, but I quoted everything else, figured I didn't want to be accused of taking it out of context :)

Nice... :lolflag:

How do you quote portions? I am usually rushing through posting here as I often do it from work and haven't taken the time to figure it all out.

elmer_42
November 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Nice... :lolflag:
lolflags are my best friends

How do you quote portions?
You can copy and paste the QUOTE tags around and it'll look like this post does.

I am usually rushing through posting here as I often do it from work and haven't taken the time to figure it all out.
Well, then, I hope this post helps you out.

sirjoebob
November 20th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Well, then, I hope this post helps you out.

Very much so. Thank you. I should have figured that out.

elmer_42
November 20th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I should have figured that out.
Don't worry, it's one of those things that you hit your head and shout "D'Oh!" when you realize how to do it.

sirjoebob
November 20th, 2008, 04:25 PM
It still would be cool if you could just select text in a post and then hit reply and quote selected. That would be even faster.

gn2
November 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM
~snip~ Why do they do that?

Why do they do what ?

lukjad
November 20th, 2008, 06:03 PM
lol.

hyper_ch
November 20th, 2008, 06:41 PM
let me find an example ;)

richg
November 20th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Linux has clueless users also. Look at the amount of useless Polls. That is a real waste of space compared to quote whole post.

Rich

hyper_ch
November 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Here's the one that actually triggered this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6216213&postcount=16

Sorry tsali that it's your post...

I just don't see any sense as to why he quoted the whole post and then just add a +1...

L815
November 20th, 2008, 06:52 PM
A quote is a quote :p

lukjad
November 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM
let me find an example ;)

here's the one that actually triggered this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6216213&postcount=16

sorry tsali that it's your post...

I just don't see any sense as to why he quoted the whole post and then just add a +1...

+1

Tristam Green
November 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
y'know, on another forum i frequent, there *was* (note the word "was", as said user has since been banned) a user who took it personally and would absolutely ream another user for quoting "snippets" of quotes.

the nicest of his responses were along the lines of "next time, read my whole post before responding, {expletive name}. i assume that since you didn't quote my whole post that you either didn't read the whole post or were too stupid to reply to the entirety." etc etc.

yeah, i don't care. if i agree with something, chances are i won't quote it. if i don't agree or find it worth replying to, i'll quote just what's necessary to get the job done.

gn2
November 20th, 2008, 07:55 PM
One reason for quoting a whole post is QFT or quoting for truth.

Doing so means that the post is unlikely to be edited retrospectively as the original has been quoted in full.

One forum that I use frowns on snipping posts and the protocol generally adopted there is to highlight or change the colour of the part you wish to reply to.

forrestcupp
November 20th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I agree with everything you said.

(now try to figure out who I was talking about)

sirjoebob
November 20th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I agree with everything you said.

(now try to figure out who I was talking about)

I love ambiguity... At my wedding, a friend jokingly put "I guess it's too late to tell you that I am in love with you." In the guest book and refused to identify who it was written to. :lolflag:

pp.
November 20th, 2008, 10:56 PM
referring only to a tiny part of it. Why do they do that?

Perhaps they do not have any more to say?

lisati
November 20th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Extreme lazyness?

+1, combined with the perception that it's "too technical" to learn how to snip out the bits not directly relevant to the reply.
I've noticed the phenomenon of quoting entire posts on other forums/mailing lists that I'm on. Sometimes it's easier (quicker?) to click on "reply" and type an answer without doing any editing, I've done it myself.

lukjad
November 20th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I've done it myself.
Not that you could deny it with the great big honking link to your +1 post. :lolflag:

snova
November 20th, 2008, 11:46 PM

Is it any better when they are referring to the entire post?

Dr Small
November 21st, 2008, 01:17 AM
And one other thing, quoting my words and then reply to them is so 80's you know. You won't see me do that here, because I'm not the type of guy to use other people's words to get his opinion across.

^^^ A quote from another forum that I moderate on.