PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Replaced Hard Drive...now name is wrong

toddk111
November 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I just replaced a 1TB SATA hard drive. I dual boot Linux & Vista. My old drive/partition was NTFS and called New Volume. So when I mounted it in Linux it appeared as "New Volume". I physically removed that drive (it was full and I want to keep the data for now).

I just put in a new 1TB SATA drive, booted to Vista and named it TD03. When I rebooted into Linux, it automounted the drive and appeared on the desktop as TD03. When I double-click on the desktop launcher for TD03, it appears as TD03 on the tree in the file browser but the "location" at the top of the file browser reads "/media/New Volume".

I think it is confusing the old (now removed) hard drive with the new one. What do I do to correct this problem?

Thanks,
Todd

__Ryan__
November 20th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I'm assuming you want it mounted at /media/TD03, if that's not the case change the name throughout the rest of the steps.

First create the new mount point:

sudo mkdir /media/TD03

Edit /etc/fstab and change '/media/New\ Volume' to '/media/TD03' in the entry for your new drive.

To make this effective immediately:

sudo umount /media/New\ Volume && sudo mount /media/TD03

Good Luck!

vanadium
November 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM
There is no editing in /etc/fstab needed because currently, the drive probably is not mounted using /etc/fstab.

In my opinion this will be a rather harmless nautilus bug. I would not take any action if for the rest you can access and use the drive normally. Chances are the problem will be gone after rebooting.

toddk111
November 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
I'm assuming you want it mounted at /media/TD03, if that's not the case change the name throughout the rest of the steps.

First create the new mount point:

sudo mkdir /media/TD03

Edit /etc/fstab and change '/media/New\ Volume' to '/media/TD03' in the entry for your new drive.

To make this effective immediately:

sudo umount /media/New\ Volume && sudo mount /media/TD03

Good Luck!

That fixed the problem. Thanks!