PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can i instal Ubunto through a USB instead of CD?

Zaerdna
November 20th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Hi i have never tried ubnutu linux but i think it seems very cool so i whanna try it out, im getting back my laptop after reparation soon but i doesnt have a CD reader thingy, so my quesion is: Can you put the ubuntu instalation iso on a USB drive and install it with that instead of burn it on a DVD?

-please anwser! :confused:

lemuriaX
November 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM
If you can set your laptop's BIOS boot sequence settings to boot from USB then you should be able to do it. I haven't tried it before so someone else here might be of more help.

Take a look at this link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

threetimes
November 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
Most PC's (at least all 4 PC's in this house) don't support booting from USB. I'd just burn/order the CD/DVD.

maestrobwh1
November 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
I would have to disagree with you. My Athlon XP Desktop has a mobo that is at least 3 years old... bios can boot from usb. My Acer Aspire laptop which is perhaps even older can be set up to boot from a USB... just that one has to enter BIOS rather than use F-12 or ESC to get to a boot menu.

xc1024
November 22nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
sure you can do it...
there are 3 things you need:
1. ubu 8.10 livecd
2. usb stick
3. computer with bios supporting usb drive boot
just boot the livecd on computer with cd drive, go on settings, look for liveusb install, click, follow instructions.
after that you should have your usb drive bootable. now turn on the target computer, choose to boot from usb drive/removable media/whatever. install procedure just like in normal live cd.
good luck.