PDA

View Full Version : Survey: All Ubuntu Users Should Answer! Future Ubuntu Development

DoctorMO
November 20th, 2008, 06:57 AM
If your an Ubuntu user and you use if for your home or business use, I need you to help me.

I'm collecting data about what Ubuntu users want to do with development. There has been a lot of talk so now I want you all to head over to the link below and fill out the survey. Answer honestly and frankly.

http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/33ReDUJ/Users-Supporting-Ubuntu-Development

Hopefully we will know if it's possible to fund ubuntu development directly from Users (Business and Personal users).

If we want to see ubuntu development speed up and more developers hired to do the work. How should we do it an what amount of money would you be willing to invest for better software, sooner?

Regards, Martin Owens

jsmidt
November 20th, 2008, 08:21 AM
What Ubuntu needs is to hire Barack Obama's fundraising managers. Breaking records from grassroots contributions of ~$25 here and there was amazing.

( I didn't want to make a political comment, just pointing out how successful he was.)

toupeiro
November 20th, 2008, 09:29 AM
/signed.

FuturePilot
November 20th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Took the survey. :)

DoctorMO
November 20th, 2008, 09:37 AM
If anyone knows how to add it to things like digg, that would be great, About 200 to 500 responses would create a wide enough sample to show some interesting results.

Phreaker
November 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Done

ciscosurfer
November 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
If anyone knows how to add it to things like digg, that would be great, About 200 to 500 responses would create a wide enough sample to show some interesting results.Something like this (http://www.addtoany.com/)?

Nevon
November 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Added to digg: http://digg.com/linux_unix/Users_Supporting_Ubuntu_Development

frodon
November 20th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Questions of the survey are way too oriented IMO.

DoctorMO
November 20th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Questions of the survey are way too oriented IMO.

Towards what?

DoctorMO
November 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Don't forget to take the survay if you haven't yet.

DoctorMO
November 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM
Almost 75 have taken it so far. We could do with another 125 people.

Does anyone know of ways of spreading the link?

mirhciulica
November 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM

+1
There will be another 124+ users to take the survey!

ciscosurfer
November 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM

Does anyone know of ways of spreading the link?Sure do. Look at my post above.

Ozor Mox
November 21st, 2008, 06:21 PM
Done.

DoctorMO
November 21st, 2008, 07:21 PM
Oooh, 90 so far. Almost halfway to the minimum sample size.

Valok
November 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM
I participated, I'll try and spread it to who I can.

Therion
November 21st, 2008, 07:35 PM
Does anyone know of ways of spreading the link?
Submit the link on http://www.fark.com

Even if it doesn't make the front page (and it won't) it will be seen by all the Total Farkers (and that's a LOT of people).

/Yes, I read FARK

michande03
November 21st, 2008, 07:43 PM
took survey but have some issues, misspelling of poll alternatives is not a professional way of doing it :)

DoctorMO
November 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM
I agree, but it happens.

namegame
November 21st, 2008, 08:53 PM
misspelling of poll alternatives is not a professional way of doing it :)

I would like to emphasize this point. How can your results be taken seriously if they are rife with careless misspellings and typos?

DoctorMO
November 21st, 2008, 09:06 PM
I would like to emphasize this point. How can your results be taken seriously if they are rife with careless misspellings and typos?

It shouldn't be taken by anyone that is offended by alternative spellings. Obviously.

This isn't a professional or official survey and I can't edit it now. What will be will be.

73ckn797
November 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM
If your an Ubuntu user and you use if for your home or business use, I need you to help me.

I did.

Please spell check the survey form.

DoctorMO
November 23rd, 2008, 05:28 AM
only 74 more people to take it. I'm already quite happy about it. As my friend pointed out, currently even with only 50% of people saying they would invest money directly. And with only 130 people, we'd have enough to fund 3 or 4 weeks of development for a well paid developer.

Could you Imagen if that could be translated into 1,000 ubuntu users?

bigbrovar
November 23rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
done

Unicast
November 23rd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Done, but FF quit the second I hit the submit button. :confused:

daverich
November 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
done.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

DoctorMO
November 23rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
This is great, we have a few more and nearer a good goal. It's already panning out.

diablo75
November 23rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
What did that survey do to help guide development? I was expecting to be asked questions like, "What features would you like to see in future releases?" and perhaps be asked to check off 3 or 4 boxes out of 30 or something like that.

sanderella
November 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Can I buy shares in Canonical? :popcorn: Or is it a private company? Yes, I did the survey.:KS

k64
November 23rd, 2008, 09:59 PM
Just for Clarification, these features should be discussed:
Multitouch Interface (/dev/mts1)
File Shredding (/usr/bin/x-rm)
Single File Programs(/dev/pkg1)
Cubic File Previews (/usr/bin/compiz.real --plugin "FileCubes")
Gigabit Home Networking Server / Client (G.hn://)
Screen Sharing (/usr/bin/x-telnet -s "shareScreen")
Remote Access (/usr/bin/x-telnet)
Ext4 File System Editor for Search Of File Contents (/bin/e4fsedit)

DoctorMO
November 24th, 2008, 03:11 AM
It's a private company owned by Mark Shuttleworth. Interesting that shares might actually be a bad idea since it puts strain of the business to earn profit before creating a good business.

What did that survey do to help guide development? I was expecting to be asked questions like, "What features would you like to see in future releases?" and perhaps be asked to check off 3 or 4 boxes out of 30 or something like that.

Quiblo is a free survey/polling website. Write one and I will answer it. I'd be interested in that survey too. But right now I'm interested to see if Ubuntu Development can be funded from end users directly.

ice60
November 24th, 2008, 04:00 AM
are you thinking of overthrowing mark shuttleworth, or is he taking his money somewhere else or something?

DoctorMO
November 24th, 2008, 04:09 AM
are you thinking of overthrowing mark shuttleworth, or is he taking his money somewhere else or something?

I'm thinking that we need a more direct route of funding to speed up ubuntu development. Marks money is sustaining, but does it give us the velocity of improvements we would like to see?

I believe only users (businesses and home users) can really provide the funding for supporting further development in a scalable way. Even with 1/10th of the funding of Microsoft, Ubuntu could hire many times the developers.

-grubby
November 24th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Taken.

ice60
November 24th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I'm thinking that we need a more direct route of funding to speed up ubuntu development. Marks money is sustaining, but does it give us the velocity of improvements we would like to see?

I believe only users (businesses and home users) can really provide the funding for supporting further development in a scalable way. Even with 1/10th of the funding of Microsoft, Ubuntu could hire many times the developers.
i'm probably a bit odd because i could happily use something like edgy for quite a few years, right now i'm using suse 10.2. but, if you think it's needed go for it. i'm not using the lastest version of ubuntu, but have seen a few people start to question various things about it.

DoctorMO
November 24th, 2008, 04:32 AM
i'm probably a bit odd because i could happily use something like edgy for quite a few years, right now i'm using suse 10.2. but, if you think it's needed go for it. i'm not using the lastest version of ubuntu, but have seen a few people start to question various things about it.

Interestingly, Free Software is quite expensive. Even just the research and development into new and interesting applications. If we stop funding this kind of development then we risk stagnation and loosing functionality we don't even know exists yet.

DoctorMO
November 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Few more to go. I didn't manage to get this thread on any blogs or anything. I don't think it's a well received idea yet.