PDA

View Full Version : do you like GIMP's new layout

dodle
November 20th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I hope that I'm not making a fool of myself, because I have only checked out the newest version of GIMP on Windows not Linux. The new version (2.6.2) has somewhat of a new layout, where toolboxes open open up inside the main window instead of having a separate window for each one. I personally think this is much better, and saves space in the panel. It appears to be more like photoshop and photostudio (correct me if I am wrong).

chucky chuckaluck
November 20th, 2008, 05:33 AM
nope.

FuturePilot
November 20th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I liked the old layout will all separate windows. I've never used PhotoShop so I have no need to have Gimp look like PhotoShop. But I can get used to the new layout.

eternalnewbee
November 20th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I can get used to the new layout.
I do, too. I must say it looks smoother

cardinals_fan
November 20th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I'd like a true one-window layout.

Skripka
November 20th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I'd like a true one-window layout.

This one is better than what preceded it though, I've been a user of Gimphoto (when doing working from my Linux drive) for a bit-as the Olde Faithful GIMP GUI is one of the more painful I've tried using, this revamp is progress, to my mind.

Of course, having using Photoshop CS3 over on my Winderz drive, I am a bit spoiled interface wise.

RiceMonster
November 20th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I don't do much advanced image editing, mostly just resizing and cropping images for a wallpaper, so it doesn't really feel all that different to me. I still know where everything I need is.

MasterNetra
November 20th, 2008, 06:47 AM
What one master window layout? I load 2.6 and its still three windows O.o Do i have to change it or something??

Ms_Angel_D
November 20th, 2008, 06:48 AM
What one master window layout? I load 2.6 and its still three windows O.o Do i have to change it or something??

I want to second this question, I too get three windows when I open it up.

kevin11951
November 20th, 2008, 06:53 AM

and I third!

MasterNetra
November 20th, 2008, 06:57 AM
oh i see went to gimp's help>about and I'm at 2.6.1 ... i guess the repo hasn't been updated yet with 2.6.2...

FuturePilot
November 20th, 2008, 06:57 AM

and I third!

I'm guessing you're all using Compiz? Because the version of Compiz in Ubuntu doesn't have the necessary patch to be able to pick up on the Utility Window hint. If you disable Compiz, you'll see there's only 1 window in the window list.

Skripka
November 20th, 2008, 06:58 AM
and I third!

Note how the menu pulldowns have been completely removed from the tools window, and are now all attached to the image window? :)

kevin11951
November 20th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I'm guessing you're all using Compiz? Because the version of Compiz in Ubuntu doesn't have the necessary patch to be able to pick up on the Utility Window hint. If you disable Compiz, you'll see there's only 1 window in the window list.

oh! thats what you mean, i thought you meant all the tools, and stuff were in one window! ok, yes then i have that.

MasterNetra
November 20th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Note how the menu pulldowns have been completely removed from the tools window, and are now all attached to the image window? :)

i see... Well then i actually kind of like having everything in one place really.

Twitch6000
November 20th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I kind of like how everything is laid out.

It makes it a bit easier to get to the windows and tools.

Ms_Angel_D
November 20th, 2008, 07:21 AM
oh! thats what you mean, i thought you meant all the tools, and stuff were in one window! ok, yes then i have that.

lol that's what I was thinking too, thanks for clarifying guys.

poebae
November 20th, 2008, 07:29 AM
As a long-time Photoshop user struggling to get used to using GIMP, I absolutely love it. Definitely a step in the right direction :D

hessiess
November 20th, 2008, 07:44 AM
The multi window layout was better, more like PS on Mac. The new layout is more like photoshop on windows, photoshop on wiondows is $%^& but useable. if gimp ever goes single window, il sdimply refuse to use it.

igknighted
November 20th, 2008, 08:49 AM
If the new layout was truly one window, it would be great. But I have nothing against the old layout, in many ways it made life easier if you were working on multiple images. I voted for the old layout because the half and half new one is awful... as an example, try to minimize it. The main window minimizes, but the toolbars don't... WTF? And there's only an 'x' on those, so my only options are to close them or leave them in the middle of my screen. Very poorly thought out.

Capt. Mac
November 20th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I haven't used the new GIMP, only seen screenshots, but I have never had a problem with the multi-window design. It works well for me. I probably won't upgrade for a while, especially since I only use GIMP sparingly.

ssam
November 20th, 2008, 10:10 AM
never really disliked GIMPs interface. I am glad it just has one menu bar now.

I would not like it to have a big grey window behind everything, thats just an ugly hack for operating systems with out multiple desktops. Often it is useful to be able to see another window in the background (eg file manager).

Phreaker
November 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I like everything in one window.It just feels better to me .

ad_267
November 20th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I like the new interface. I also like having separate dock windows because I have two monitors and I can chuck them all on the other monitor, allowing my image to take up the whole of my main monitor.

Nevon
November 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM
As many people have said, a true single window solution would be great. This feels more like a crappy hack, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

_sAm_
November 20th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I hope that I'm not making a fool of myself, because I have only checked out the newest version of GIMP on Windows not Linux. The new version (2.6.2) has somewhat of a new layout, where toolboxes open open up inside the main window instead of having a separate window for each one. I personally think this is much better, and saves space in the panel. It appears to be more like photoshop and photostudio (correct me if I am wrong).

I like it, no need to have menu on both tollbox and main window. I removed the empty space left on toolbox.

I also think it will get even better when Gimp gets support for tabs so you can open several pictures in the main window(somthing they are working on).
Source for this is http://meetthegimp.org/, where I also learned how to remove the empty space.

hessiess
November 20th, 2008, 11:38 AM
never really disliked gimps interface. I am glad it just has one menu bar now.

I would not like it to have a big grey window behind everything, thats just an ugly hack for operating systems with out multiple desktops. Often it is useful to be able to see another window in the background (eg file manager).

+1

mrgnash
November 20th, 2008, 02:12 PM
No, I hate it. One of the things I liked most about Gnome was the multiple windows. Worst of all, it's no longer possible to drag the toolbars from one desktop to another. If there was a viable alternative, I would switch in a heartbeat.

Jay_Bee
November 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
You all know that you can switch between the new UI and an old one, right?

Magnes
November 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM

And thats what I like the most. :)
I use the new one though. I like the changes.

hessiess
November 20th, 2008, 02:55 PM

how?

Nicu Alecu
November 20th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Well, after several months of getting used to Gimp (coming from years of PS) I kinda liked the versatility of completely independent windows. I also tried 2.6.2 on my wife's ******* box, and was a litlle bit disappointed, I was expecting a real one window environment and I was curios ...
Anyways, I like my old Gimp and I'll stick to it for a while.

mrgnash
November 20th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Yes, how? I'd love to know, because it's not in the manual (which isn't surprising, because the manual only covers up to version 2.4.2), nor did Googling such a thing return any useful results.

kevin11951
November 20th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Yes, how? I'd love to know, because it's not in the manual (which isn't surprising, because the manual only covers up to version 2.4.2), nor did Googling such a thing return any useful results.

go into the settings, and choose "window managment" or something like that, and you can choose what type of window you want them to be.

Skripka
November 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
The multi window layout was better, more like PS on Mac. The new layout is more like photoshop on windows, photoshop on wiondows is $%^& but useable. if gimp ever goes single window, il sdimply refuse to use it.

Multi window layout is only useable when one has multiple desktops---multiwindow basically reders as taskbar useless....is also wasts screen space. I'd still like to see the tools window have the ability to collapse down to one column (instead of the minimum 2), it just eats up otherwise useable screenspace and gets in the way.

dodle
December 9th, 2008, 10:15 PM
The tools menus are driving me crazy. I think I'm starting to like the old layout better. I'm sure they'll fix it soon.

Giant Speck
December 9th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I like the new layout. However, I don't like the fact that the Toolbar or any floating dock I have cannot be minimized.

EDIT: I meant by default. I know how to fix it so it'll minimize every window. But it should be like that by default.

linuxguymarshall
December 9th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I love it. Much more PhotoShoppy. I hated having all my extra windows in the background but not being able to increase one to cover them up. I feel closer to adobe. If only inkscape had detachable panels.....