PDA

View Full Version : PC Magazine going digital only

richg
November 20th, 2008, 04:07 AM
They are going digital only.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usmediaindustrycomputerinternetpcmagazine

For about three years I use to get a online magazine from the UK. It came as a PDF. A little more effort to read it in the Library, aka bathroom, some times called a loo.

Rich

wmcbrine
November 20th, 2008, 04:39 AM
On the one hand, I can see the logic behind this decision, a decision that a lot of formerly-print publications are making. On the other hand, I wonder if they aren't slitting their own throats. In print, just by virtue of being in print, you gain an aura of authority, earned or not; on the web, it's a level playing field between PC Magazine and some guy blogging from his basement.

richg
November 20th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Change is inevitable, struggle is an option.

Rich

Dixon Bainbridge
November 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
On the one hand, I can see the logic behind this decision, a decision that a lot of formerly-print publications are making. On the other hand, I wonder if they aren't slitting their own throats. In print, just by virtue of being in print, you gain an aura of authority, earned or not; on the web, it's a level playing field between PC Magazine and some guy blogging from his basement.

Print media is bought by one person and usually read by another 20 (on average). So the ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) for one copy of a printed magazine isn't great, compared to printing and distribution costs per issue. People that pick up the magazine to read second hand from the original purchaser don't generally then go and buy a copy for themselves, as they've already read it.

(I used to work in media monitoring and evaluation, so I've seen all the studies done on this. Print media as a business model is dying).