PDA

View Full Version : Should i get an iPhone?

jimi_hendrix
November 20th, 2008, 02:08 AM
my ipod just died and i need a new phone...is an iPhone worth it then? oppinons/experences welcome

i dont plan i having 10000000000 songs but i do have 4 movies on my ipod and ~120 songs right now...slowly expanding will this fit on an iPhone with all the apps?

ack389
November 20th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Many people here dislike apple, but since you have an ipod, you probably dont share that sentiment. I personally feel that it is tied in first with blackberries right now as far as smartphones go. I have not personally met anyone unsatisfied with their iphone. It really comes down to what you prefer in a phone:

Media/games/ease of use = iphone
Data/productivity = blackberry

Not saying that both can't do all of the things above.

Hentai_Jeff
November 20th, 2008, 02:19 AM
the iphone is NOT a smart phone, it's a multimedia phone. There's a huge difference

Joeb454
November 20th, 2008, 02:20 AM
It's down to choice really. Play with one in a local store, get to know them a bit :)

I love my iPhone, I'm really glad I bought it, but I understand why some people dislike them :)

It may also be worth looking into a G1 if you have a hatred of Apple ;)

damis648
November 20th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I have an iPhone. I would not recommend it anymore, mainly because while you used to be able to sync music wirelessly with Ubuntu over SSH, it is now impossible with the new 2.X firmwares because now iTunes does a checksum when syncing with the phone, and since we cannot figure that out yet, music can sync but not be played. It is too bad really. Other than that it is a good phone I suppose, if you have Windows dual-booting. (Does NOT work in vbox, I do not know why). However, make sure you are on the network the iPhone is available on. For example, in the US, only at&t can carry the iPhone, and buying an iPhone you MUST either already have at&t, or set up service, otherwise they can not sell it to you. (They have a contract with at&t, at&t subsidises some $400 a phone or something, so they want to make sure people are on at&t). Note you will be paying an extra $30 a month probably if you do not have 3G service. I have the old EDGE model, and I am trying to sell it for about $300-$350. It is amazing, the 3G's are going for $800 on ebay just because everybody knows it's the only way you can get one. Anyway, good phone, does not work in Ubuntu, and must have at&t (in US anyway...)

Paqman
November 20th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Meh, iPhones are ok. I'd rather have an N95 myself (apparently the N96's are pants). A lot of people are raving about the HTC Touch and Blackberry Bold, though. Plus of course there's the G1 running Android, but reviews are mixed.

As for storage, mp3 is about a MB per minute. So for 120 songs you'll need less than 1GB, which is tiddly for a new phone.

ciscosurfer
November 20th, 2008, 02:27 AM
...is an iPhone worth it then? oppinons/experences welcomeiThink you should get one :-D

The touch-typing aspect takes a little getting used to (but is very quick once you get used to it).

Q: Who actually watches movies on their iPhone/iPod? Is there a serious audience for this stuff? [thinks to self] I suppose there is, otherwise Apple wouldn't have included the functionality.

damis648
November 20th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Yes, I was thinking about getting an HTC Touch Pro (or Fuze as at&t calls it) and maybe installaing another OS on it... but I can't find anything at all about that! Anyone here an expert on that? I do NOT want Windows Mobile (it's against my religion :-P). Also I was considering a Neo Freerunner. You might want to look into that. I really like it because it is a completely open phone. I would like that, but right now it looks a little feature-less.

Therion
November 20th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Is there a serious audience for this stuff? [thinks to self] I suppose there is, otherwise Apple wouldn't have included the functionality.
No, no, no... You just don't get it, do you? APPLE decides what there is a market for; not you.
Apple TELLS you what you want and then you go out and you buy it.

See? Simple.

Kingsley
November 20th, 2008, 02:40 AM
No, no, no... You just don't get it, do you? APPLE decides what there is a market for; not you.

See? Simple.
Wow, that takes the load right off my shoulders!

ciscosurfer
November 20th, 2008, 02:49 AM

See? Simple.No, no, no...I guess I don't. Is that how consumerism works? Thanks so much for enlightening me. I guess you've never heard of focus groups and research.

All together now:
I ain't freakin' I ain't fakin' this (3x)
Shut up and let me go, hey!
:guitar:

Must. Go. Buy. Apple. Now.

jimi_hendrix
November 20th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Many people here dislike apple, but since you have an ipod, you probably dont share that sentiment

i hate the computers...i ike the ipod

Therion
November 20th, 2008, 03:20 AM
... Thanks so much for enlightening me.
Don't thank me. It's... It's just what I do. It's a gift, really.

Capt. Mac
November 20th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I personally don't like touch screen phones. The virtual 'keyboard' just doesn't do it for me. I need to feel keys.

PCessna
November 20th, 2008, 03:49 AM
If you enjoyed the iPod exprerience, and want another product from apple as a phone for your music with the combined ceulluar expirerence the 'Phone' part of the iPhone offers, then yes, the iPhone is for your.

I reccomend doing some light research first.

I am personally an apple *lover*

Viranh
November 20th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Personally, I love my ipod touch. I really wish Verizon would carry the iphone (only real provider in MT) because my Motorola is newer and almost broken. :( I use my touch all the time. It's my PDA with google calendar sync. It keeps track of my homework. I watch anime (with subtitles, you can read them!) on it, and I surf the internet. I often post on these forums from it. I have a terminal app, vi and perl on there too. I've got a decent calculator and plotter. I don't have too much trouble with it and linux either. I upgraded to the new firmware, but I can play ssh'd music and videos with pwnplayer and mplayer. I have little bad to say about the device. It's a pain in the *** to jailbreak and it requires Windows. It took me ~10+ tries both times I did it. Not fun. I didn't think I'd like the little thing, but my parents insisted on buying it for me even though I said I wanted a Linux compatible MP3 player. I love it now that I've had it a while.

wolfen69
November 20th, 2008, 04:42 AM

See? Simple.

exactly. apple and windows are cousins. apple might even be worse. i'll have no part of it.

i use my phone to make phone calls, that's it. i would not even buy a linux based "iphone clone". overkill to me. plus, i'm on computers so much as it is, that i need a break from technology when i go out. i don't need to play daxter and clank (or whatever it's called) when i'm at the grocery store. or anywhere else. to me, the "information age" is becoming too pervasive as it is.

BunnyGirlDoom
November 20th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I have the EVN phone. People said I should get and iPhone but those people don't even know why they have an iPhone beyond being told it was cool to have.

Motomo
November 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I work in the wireless industry and the i-phone is neat (even though I work for a different carrier)....also check out the new phone from verizon....the Blackberry Storm......matches up quite well with the i-phone

jimi_hendrix
November 20th, 2008, 01:19 PM
thanks all

Johnsie
November 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I got a Samsung Omnia a few weeks ago. Has some pretty good specs and 16gb of space. Certainly worth looking at.

PartisanEntity
November 20th, 2008, 02:14 PM
The iPhone in its default form is not a smart phone, as stated earlier it is a media phone.

In its pure form, you cannot:

- copy paste
- allow applications to run in the background
- use it as a protable hdd
- install 3rd party software from outside the app store
- add/edit themes
- ssh into it
- remote desktop in to it
- watch videos in multiple formats
- navigate the contents of your phone's file system
- keep the internet connection active when the screen is off
- have info displayed on the locked screen
- download files through safari

Once you jailbreak the iPhone, it becomes a smarter-phone:

- copy paste
- i can have applications run in the background
- i can use it as an external hdd
- i have installed vlc on it
- i can start a remote desktop session in to the iphone
- i have new emails, missed calls, sms messages and the weather displayed on the lock screen
- customize the looks and feel easily
- i can use 3g to make calls through fring for example
- i can download torrents
- i can have a terminal
- use a text based browser
- navigate the file system using Finder
- i can ssh in to the phone
- chat using irc
- play NES games
- access the phone using sftp
- download files through safari

...the list goes on

I would recommend that you look for real smart phones or maybe get the Neo Freerunner, or a phone with Google's Android.

jimi_hendrix
November 21st, 2008, 12:14 AM
i dont need to carry my powerpoint to my clients on my phone...i would use it for everyday phonethings + listening to music + some of the good apps

zombiepig
November 21st, 2008, 12:20 AM
Don't forget there's no MMS functions on the iphone either, so that may be a factor if you want to send/receive photos.

Therion
November 21st, 2008, 12:23 AM
iProduct...

wrtpeeps
November 21st, 2008, 04:00 AM
Meh, iPhones are ok. I'd rather have an N95 myself (apparently the N96's are pants). A lot of people are raving about the HTC Touch and Blackberry Bold, though. Plus of course there's the G1 running Android, but reviews are mixed.

As for storage, mp3 is about a MB per minute. So for 120 songs you'll need less than 1GB, which is tiddly for a new phone.

Rubbish. I have 5 months left on my n95 contract and CANNOT WAIT to get rid of it.

Iphone looks to be my next phone.

Paqman
November 21st, 2008, 04:34 AM
Rubbish. I have 5 months left on my n95 contract and CANNOT WAIT to get rid of it.

Well, I know of one other person who is thinking of chucking theirs due to it's excessive chunkiness, but otherwise everyone else I know with one rates them.

Horses for courses though. What don't you like about it?

wrtpeeps
November 21st, 2008, 04:40 AM
Well, I know of one other person who is thinking of chucking theirs due to it's excessive chunkiness, but otherwise everyone else I know with one rates them.

Horses for courses though. What don't you like about it?

It's nothing special. Other than the decent camera, it does nothing interesting.

Oh, and the Java OS on it is slow. It freezes quite a bit.

Paqman
November 21st, 2008, 04:56 AM
It's nothing special.

I've thought the same about iPhones i've played with. Apart from the touchscreen they don't do anything worth that kind of money (although they look like they get a bit more useful once jailbroken)

Meh. Like I said, horses for courses.

wrtpeeps
November 21st, 2008, 05:01 AM
I've thought the same about iPhones i've played with. Apart from the touchscreen they don't do anything worth that kind of money (although they look like they get a bit more useful once jailbroken)

Meh. Like I said, horses for courses.

The iPod within the iPhone is 1000 times better than the music player within the n95. I also like the way the iphone lays out text messages, I frequently find myself having to save what I've currently written and go back and check what the previous person sent (which, on an n95, takes ages).

Not to mention, better games to get me through boring lectures. :lolflag:

Oh, and free internet!

Paqman
November 21st, 2008, 06:06 AM
Oh, and free internet!

That's more the contract than the phone surely?