PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 : Not installing at boot screen

Directorate
November 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Ok so here's the deal.

I've been trying to migrate towards linux for the past 3 years,but I've always hit a brick wall with regards to the linux OS actually supporting the laptop I own. When I had a desktop a few years back I was actually using slackware 10,0 as a beginner, and had a pretty quick learning curve on it, but that was a while ago and everything I picked up then is gone.

In regards to my problem. Yesterday I created a dual boot between Vista and chose to install linux mint 4.1 simply for the fact that it came with "propriety" software pre-installed, such as mp3 support and whatever. But after installing it (perhaps I should have read more about it) I found out that it comes with gnome by default. These days I'm beyond my young obsession with cli and would just like a simple way to use linux and to be honest I prefer KDE. So I decided to install ubuntu instead so i can use Kubuntu, and actually enjoy my time using linux despite the issue with codec support.

Anyway, I downloaded and burnt Ubuntu 8.10. When I restarted my computer to install it (I've tried the live version beforehand, and it's not that much different than linux mint I know), it wouldn't let me install it on my hard-drive or even boot up a live session. All it would let me do is boot from the hard-disk. The image seems to be fine, but I don't get what the problem might be.

If it helps, I use a dv5z HP laptop.

pennacook
November 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Are you selecting to boot from the CD from the bios screen? Some newer bios versions 'allow' you to select where you are booting from.