PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstall ubuntu

lswinford
November 19th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I have what is probably an unusual situation that I hope someone can assist with.

My daughter had a laptop stolen, but she had the serial number and gave it to the investigating detective. Amazing as it sounds, it turned up in a pawn shop and she now has the laptop back.

Unfortunately the person that stole the laptop installed ubuntu over the Vista install, and now when the laptop boots it's asking for a user id and password that I can't even begin to guess.

I booted the laptop with a Linux boot CD and found that all of the files appear to still be on the drive, and I can copy them to another drive. I really don't want to format and go through an entire OS and apps reinstall, but at the moment I don't see another option.

Is there a way I can access the system using ubuntu, or uninstall ubuntu so my daughter can use the laptop again and access the files?

I really want to see what information the thief left on the laptop as well, to give the police more information to prosecute with.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or suggestions provided.

sukhhari
November 19th, 2008, 09:34 PM
This may be the easy one instead of uninstall Ubuntu. While booting Windows Vista CD / DVD in Recovery Option / Repairing and try deleting the Ubuntu Raw Partition.

:confused: