PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] One keymap per keyboard?

avgjoe64
November 19th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Hello all,

Here is my problem: I use a foreign keyboard (specifically, an AZERTY French keyboard) and have set my keymap accordingly.

But I also own a CueCat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat) (cheap USB barcode reader), which is recognized as another keyboard (USB HID device).

The problem is that the CueCat emulates an American QWERTY keyboard. The numbers in the top row of a QWERTY keyboard are directly accessible, whereas in an AZERTY keyboard they are Shift'ed. So I must press Shift on my keyboard while I scan codes for the output to be correct, which is definitely inconvenient. I can't even use Caps-Lock because the Caps-Lock+number is not the same key as Shift+number, which is also a bother. This works fine under Windows.

So, is there any way I can tell the system that my regular keyboard should use an AZERTY keymap while my CueCat should use QWERTY? If not, is there any other way to solve my problem? Maybe a program or a driver that interceptes the CueCat keycodes and remaps them correctly? I was unable to find anything on this (very specific, I guess) issue.

Thanks!