PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 Installation Problems...

rbw3689
November 19th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Sorry if this has been posted multiple times, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

I am trying to install Ubuntu on my laptop alongside of Windows Vista. I downloaded the image file, burned it to a CD. When I insert the CD, shut down my laptop, and start it back up, the Ubuntu screen displays, as it should.

I am able to move up and down the options, but the only option that "works" (ie, doesn't cause my computer to stop doing anything) is "Boot from hard disk". If I try anything else, nothing seems to work (except the F key functions).

After this wasn't working, I decided to escape from the Ubuntu screen when it displays. I hit enter, and another Ubuntu screen displays. I hit enter again to see if Ubuntu will load now, and I get this message:

"Loading /casper/vmlinuz...."

It seems to be stuck at this point, nothing happens from there. What do I need to do? Should I make another CD at a slower write speed? Any suggestions welcome... this is my first time trying to do this.

oilchangeguy
November 19th, 2008, 05:51 PM
this may help you:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

rbw3689
November 19th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I used InfraRecorder to create the CD. I guess I'll use it again, at a slower speed, and see if it works better this time.

DecemberWolf
November 19th, 2008, 07:15 PM
i am also having similar problems. the gui loads ok but i choose install and it cannot load the setup screen. i get a completely black screen with an X cursor. the machine then hangs

i have scoured the forums and even asked on IRC!

please help us, we dont want to use windows any more :(

rbw3689
November 20th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I was able to install Ubuntu successfully after choosing a 4x write speed (instead of the maxiumum).

Now I have a few other problems, but I'll look for the answer elsewhere first...