PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Issues with Audio CD on KDE4 (Intepid)

jtappin
November 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
With KDE 3 on Hardy, when I put an audio CD into the drive it gives a number of options (play, open in konqueror, etc.), and it's also possible to eject the CD with a right-click on the decktop icon.

However under KDE4 on Intrepid there is no indication in the "new hardware" list or elsewhere that the CD has been inserted. Likewise I couldn't find any means of ejecting other than the button on the drive or running eject from the command line.

Is this intentional, an oversight, or a package I've not installed?

P.S. Amarok will play the CD and data CD's mount fine, so it's not that the CD drive isn't working or a bad disk.

MrE
November 27th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I've got the same problem.

There is no indication that an audio CD (or any disc for that matter) has been detected.

The KIO plugin audiocd:/ doesn't work anymore.

Konqueror reports

The requested operation could not be completed
Cannot Open Resource For Reading

and Dolphin reports

Could not read .

Manually specifying the CD device in KDE's Advanced User Settings doesn't solve the problem. In Hardy I did not have to specify the CD device, I could insert an audio CD in either CD drive and audiocd:/ would let me browse the CD.

K3b however detects the audio CD fine.

Amarok (1.4.10) plays it without any problems, _provided_ I manually specify the default device in the Audio CD Configuration in the Amarok settings.

While I can still rip my CD collection using K3b, I _much_prefer the way I used to it in Hardy:

- insert CD in either my CD or DVD drive
- select 'Open with Konqueror' in the menu that popped up
- drag 'n' drop the FLAC folder onto the open Amarok collection (well, except that the FLAC folder never worked in neither Gutsy nor Hardy, but that's different story).

I wonder if many people come across this problem, and whether a bug has been filed...

jetpeach
November 30th, 2008, 12:04 AM
same problem here. i haven't found a good way to rip an audiocd (to mp3) in kde4 yet, k3b won't work (complains of lame encoding error, even though lame encoder is installed), and without the kioslaves working i guess i need to find some other program to rip it.

poulhs
November 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
same problems here.seems like kde4 needs time to get to kde3 levels.
for ripping i tried RipOff(you need to install mp3 plugin).it does the job ok

jtappin
January 18th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Just a couple of updates:

The problem still exists in the 4.2-rc1 from the PPA.

When running xfce4 I do get the audio CD automatically played in the xfce audio player (listen?). Thus I think we can be sure that the problem is in KDE4 not in some other aspect of the Intrepid configuration. [I'm not sure if thunar can open a cd the way konqueror does (or did)]

jtappin
January 26th, 2009, 04:28 PM
A little more by way of updates (this is using the 4.2-rc1 from the PPA -- other versions may be different):

1) the audiocd:/ url does work in both konqueror and dolphin, but does not start automatically. (BTW: mistyping as audiocd:// crashes konqueror).

2) I've still not found any way other than using eject at the command line or pressing the button on the drive to eject the CD.

Tom Mann
January 29th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I have MP3 support for my main PC with the audiocd:/ protocol, but not my Aspire One... I can't figure the difference for love nor money. I think I have lame installed on my main machine...

EDIT: Installing lame worked! (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4940447&postcount=3)

I have also install libk3b3-extracodecs for K3B support.

sudo apt-get install lame libk3b3-extracodecs

Also I found that having more than one CD/DVD Drive can cause problems, but you can try:

audiocd:/dev/scd0

pliktrologos
April 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I have the same problem too. The audiocd:/ protocol does not work with konqueror or dolphin on KDE 4.2.2 and I can't configure amarok play the audio CD although autorun works and k3b is accessing the files but can't rip the CD.

wandalalakers
May 18th, 2010, 07:24 AM
This problem still exists in kubuntu 10.04.
I'm bummed because I never had this problem with kubuntu 8.04.
I can't imagine recommending kubuntu 10.04 to friends and this bug exists.
I don't have this problem with ubuntu 10.04 so it's defintely an issue with kde. I've even heard of this problem with suse.