PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Repositories

Pezhead
November 19th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I know this a broad question based on personal opinion but I can't think of a way to narrow it down. I am wondering if there is a list of 3rd party repositories and what those repositories contain? I am not looking for any program in particular, this is more-so for my own curiosity.

rampageoberon
November 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Check System -. Administration -> Software Sources

Also you can add your own repositories (be careful and make sure they are trustworthy)

Not sure if there is a proper list otherwise. Depends on what applications you want really.

Elfy
November 19th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I don't know whether there are lists or even if you should take any notice of them - but I do always add the medibuntu repo to my sources as more or less one of the first things I do with ubuntu.

In addition I might add a repo from the developer of a particualr app I might wasnt - for instance I've used the exaile repos andd also added a repo from someones ppa on launchpad, again for the sole purpose of accessing a particular thing.

jenkinbr
November 19th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I don't know whether there are lists or even if you should take any notice of them - but I do always add the medibuntu repo to my sources as more or less one of the first things I do with ubuntu.

In addition I might add a repo from the developer of a particualr app I might wasnt - for instance I've used the exaile repos andd also added a repo from someones ppa on launchpad, again for the sole purpose of accessing a particular thing.
mediabuntu repos, you mean?

I occasionally install software from getdeb.net, but they don't have a proper repository setup (and there are many warnings out there about software from them, so be careful using getdeb)

rampageoberon
November 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
mediabuntu repos, you mean?

No its medibuntu, check https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

jenkinbr
November 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM
No its medibuntu, check https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
And I've been misreading it all along....

Elfy
November 19th, 2008, 04:00 PM
least it's only a word - I've read whole posts the wrong way before :)

Pezhead
November 20th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the info. As I stated I am not really looking for any particular program, just wanted to see what is out there.