PDA

View Full Version : I hate stupid Disney now

NintendoTogepi
November 19th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Well, no, they make good movies (mostly Pixar nowadays) and the parks are amazing, but I ordered the WALL-E DVD from Amazon and it came in an "environmentally friendly" cardboard case...

The problem? I put it in...36 seconds in, during the Disney animated logo...skips. 1 minute into the actual movie...skips. 2 minutes in...skips. I immediately turn it off.

I cleaned off the disc very well, and I put it back in. Still skipped at all the same times and I turned it off again 2 minutes in.

I can't believe Disney would send it in such lousy packaging! I'm all for being environmentally friendly, but at least make sure the disc won't get scratched to hell! Now there's going to just be another disc in the landfill.

You'd think they test to see, you know, if it would be scratched horribly and made unplayable? It's not just me with this problem either, it would seem.

pdwerryhouse
November 19th, 2008, 02:57 PM
There are an awful lot of organisations who seem to be using "environmentally friendly" as a way to spin "cutting costs".

lukjad
November 19th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Well, no, they make good movies (mostly Pixar nowadays) and the parks are amazing, but I ordered the WALL-E DVD from Amazon and it came in an "environmentally friendly" cardboard case...

The problem? I put it in...36 seconds in, during the Disney animated logo...skips. 1 minute into the actual movie...skips. 2 minutes in...skips. I immediately turn it off.

I cleaned off the disc very well, and I put it back in. Still skipped at all the same times and I turned it off again 2 minutes in.

I can't believe Disney would send it in such lousy packaging! I'm all for being environmentally friendly, but at least make sure the disc won't get scratched to hell! Now there's going to just be another disc in the landfill.

You'd think they test to see, you know, if it would be scratched horribly and made unplayable? It's not just me with this problem either, it would seem.
Sorry to disagree with you, but this happens to me in any type of packaging. Some times there are things that go wrong. I have had this problem many, many times in many movies. I think that all you need to do is return it for a replacement. Companies usually will replace them with no charge.

NintendoTogepi
November 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Sorry to disagree with you, but this happens to me in any type of packaging. Some times there are things that go wrong. I have had this problem many, many times in many movies. I think that all you need to do is return it for a replacement. Companies usually will replace them with no charge.

I know, but it's a little frustrating. I see tons of people with this problem. The packaging was faulty.

And it'll probably be, let's see, according to Amazon's return policy...1 day to ship it there...3-5 days to PROCESS it then...and ship it back...it'll probably 10-14 days till I get a new one back!

lukjad
November 19th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Well, this is why I never shop online. If something goes wrong I at least want to go to a store and yell at someone. ;)

beercz
November 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I never really liked Disney

lukjad
November 19th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I never really liked Disney
Well, I do. :pout:

solitaire
November 19th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Have you tried ripping the DVD to your drive and seeing if that works?
If it does that will tide you over till you get a replacement ;)

NintendoTogepi
November 19th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Well apparently the problem is more frustrating then I thought.

Apparently it's not the disc, it's the fact that they put a new copy protection software on there which makes it impossible to play on PC.

:(

lukjad
November 19th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Well apparently the problem is more frustrating then I thought.

Apparently it's not the disc, it's the fact that they put a new copy protection software on there which makes it impossible to play on PC.

:(
Yeeesh! Hate it.

zekopeko
November 19th, 2008, 10:31 PM
and people say torrents are bad...

zmjjmz
November 19th, 2008, 11:14 PM
And here I thought you had just seen High School Musical.

That's another good reason to hate Disney.

Polygon
November 19th, 2008, 11:59 PM
just wait a couple of days and one of the many dvd ripping programs will be able to rip it.

and usually the copy protection only effects if you try to RIP the dvd, it should not effect playback, even on PC's. becuase there is no way to detect if its playing on a legit player, a legit pc player, or through something like VLC. They have to remain compatible with all of the dvd players out there, and some of them are 5+ years old.

init1
November 20th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah DRM sucks.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/steal_this_comic.png

lukjad
November 20th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Heh.

SunnyRabbiera
November 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Well, this is why I never shop online. If something goes wrong I at least want to go to a store and yell at someone. ;)

I personally shop online often but thats because so far Amazon has done me a good service, but the occasional bad disk is bound to happen.

lisati
November 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Disney, huh? This might be a sign that I'm getting "old", but I remember watching Mr Walter Elias Disney himself on TV back in the 1960s, long before VHS, DVD and blu-ray, when we had to rely on the whims of the local TV station to see what he had to offer.

gletob
November 20th, 2008, 10:44 PM

Oh believe me I can still get the yelling in over the phone. The companies I get mad with the most 1. Verizon (Spin the wheel of departments and see where your call lands.) 2. Microsoft (xbox problems because god knows they won't help with windows) 3. Comcast (ROAARRRRR) 4. Sprint

Three and Four got canceled after I got Fios and learned the wonders of Alltel (Soon to be bought by Verizon)

And on the original topic I personally never had issues with plastic packaging (as long as you can find the scissors) and like disney movies

P.S. One tip with the automated phone systems pounding zero a lot will get you to a human that might be able the better direct your call.

Capt. Mac
November 20th, 2008, 11:18 PM
P.S. One tip with the automated phone systems pounding zero a lot will get you to a human that might be able the better direct your call.

One time my dad was on the line with an automated phone system and he got frustrated and yelled "I just want to talk to a ****ing person!" It instantly forwarded him to someone. I couldn't believe it.

lisati
November 20th, 2008, 11:22 PM
One time my dad was on the line with an automated phone system and he got frustrated and yelled "I just want to talk to a ****ing person!" It instantly forwarded him to someone. I couldn't believe it.

I had a similar result one time after checking something with a government department. The automated system somehow managed to give the information I was after. When I had finished listening to it, I grumpily told it to f*** off", to which it gave its "goodbye" message and terminated the call.

lukjad
November 20th, 2008, 11:39 PM

You'd think so, but they've gotten smarter. They now hide the Operator behind a series of random digits, none of them zero. When you hit zero, it tells you that "You have selected an invalid choice" and proceeds to punish you by restarting the entire message reel. :P

lisati
November 21st, 2008, 01:00 AM
You'd think so, but they've gotten smarter. They now hide the Operator behind a series of random digits, none of them zero. When you hit zero, it tells you that "You have selected an invalid choice" and proceeds to punish you by restarting the entire message reel. :P

One thing that really annoys me is the automated systems which expect you to talk to them, and then promptly take you somewhere unrelated to what you were asking about.