PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Yet another blank screen installation

CursedBlade
November 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I have ended up joining the many other threads about blank screen installations but i just cant seem to fix it.

I have tried:

Alternative CD
Booting into LiveCD
Regular install
Safe mode
Removing quiet and changing splash to nosplash

as well as probably a few other things i cant remember.

None of this works, what happens is after the loading bar is done the screen just goes blank and theres nothing i can do from there. I've run out of ideas.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 8.04 onto one of my laptops (ECS G320 http://tinyurl.com/6p5x7x)

I dont have massive knowledge of Linux so things may be need to be explained. All i want is to learn some proper Linux skills on a linux dedicated machine and I cant even get it to install!

CursedBlade
November 19th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Just a quick add to this.. this is what i get when i try to use the alternative cd...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/CursedBlade/moto_0037.jpg

redoscar3
November 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I don't really have an answer for this problem other than to say I suspect Ubuntu is having difficulty properly configuring your video card and perhaps has chosen the wrong driver.

From your photo, I can't tell if your computer is sitting at your login screen or not. You could try getting into a console display by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2 and logging in at the console. This would allow you to examine your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Beyond that, I am at a loss as to what is happening. If you can get to a text console screen, I will try to help you further.

Red

redoscar3
November 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Also, have you tried to enter "Recovery mode" through the grub menu? This is selectable by pressing "Esc" when the grub message first hits the screen.

CursedBlade
November 19th, 2008, 03:35 PM
well it wont be the login screen because its not installed yet... All i am managing is to press install on the first menu and then i am presented with that image (when using alternative cd)

redoscar3
November 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Sorry, I was confused about whether you were installed or not. Seems your problem is that Ubuntu won't even run as a Live CD for some reason. And you say you have tried the Alternative CD so no sense even trying to go there.

Have you tried the latest version of Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex? I know it uses a much newer kernel and perhaps your computer would be better supported by it. Just a thought.

CursedBlade
November 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Can try it... dont see it making much difference but i'll try...

benson444
November 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I had the same kind of problem with an alternate cd of some distro or other on a laptop some time ago. If I remember right I needed to add a setting to the kernel line before starting the install. Look for an F-key option for adding kernel options/arguments and try putting in

vga=771

redoscar3
November 19th, 2008, 04:34 PM
You would be surprised at the differences in Ubuntu versions. Even though it will receive long term support, I have had more than my share of problems with Hardy compared to previous versions of Ubuntu (going back to Dapper Drake when I first this distro). But I now have Hardy running well on my old Acer Aspire 3003LCi laptop. But you can't even get past 1st base on your machine with Hardy. So my suggestion is to try Intrepid and see if you don't have better success. I know my nephew's Toshiba laptop works much better with Intrepid than Hardy. Good luck!

CursedBlade
November 20th, 2008, 07:52 PM
redoscar cheers for the help but no luck. However...

BENSON!! You genius! I am installing as we speak... hopefully once the install is done i will be able to actually boot in, we can wait and see.

CursedBlade
November 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM
The alternative installer worked using the vga=771 solution. However i now can not actually get into linux..

details in the following thread...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6222915#post6222915