PDA

View Full Version : I mainly use Ubuntu for...

mangar
November 19th, 2008, 12:41 PM
What is your main use of Ubuntu?
Are you exploring the system, developing software, browsing the web, or do you use it as a media center?

Vote now!

Note:

There is no "Everything" option.. Let me rephrase: How do you define your main usage of your machine, when you boot to your Ubuntu partition? Ask yourself - what is the thing you do the most?

Bölvağur
November 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM
There is no poll to vote on... [edit.. y ou added one now]

But I use ubuntu for: browsing, image editing (amateur photography, nothing pro), instant messaging, music, watch films, write papers for uni, games (warsow and crack attack like 15 hours per week).
Well that should cover the normal computer usage.

speedwell68
November 19th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I use Ubuntu for managing various small websites on a semi professional basis. Afterthat it just gets regular use, surfing, mail, IM, some personal office work. It is my main choice of OS, so basically I will use it for whatever I need to do.

eternalnewbee
November 19th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I use my Ubuntu for everything, so I can't vote;)

lukjad
November 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Well, I use Ubuntu for everything. Perhaps the poll should be what do you use your computer for. Is that what you ment?

markp1989
November 19th, 2008, 01:26 PM
i selected casual use, even thou netbook os comes as a close 2nd

Swagman
November 19th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Where's the "Everything" option ?

PartisanEntity
November 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I would like to see the option: just about everything, because that is what I use Ubuntu for.

fatality_uk
November 19th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Agree PartisanEntity.
Why isn't there Everything option?
Cos I do.

lukjad
November 19th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I would like to see the option: just about everything, because that is what I use Ubuntu for.
+1 PartisanEntity
I agree. I don't only do any one thing.

Eisenwinter
November 19th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Agreed.

I use Ubuntu only, and for everything.

mangar
November 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM
If you choose Ubuntu for everything, choose the option that best fits your usage pattern.
Are you a gamer? developer? Champion Leagues' Web Surfer?

Eisenwinter
November 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM
If you choose Ubuntu for everything, choose the option that best fits your usage pattern.
Are you a gamer? developer? Champion Leagues' Web Surfer?
I do everything on it.

I listen to music, go on IRC, program/code, download music and movies, burn CDs, make music, browse the web, and so on.

cmay
November 19th, 2008, 04:07 PM
i use ubuntu for casual use such as writing letters and for reading my email and for learning programming. i use another distro for making music and i use other systems for same thing as i use ubuntu for. i experiment with all systems and beta test all i can do.
i therefor use ubuntu as a stable setup i should count on as always working and with less work put in to it.

Valok
November 19th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I'm a gamer through and through, so gaming is my first priority. I've gotten every game I've wanted to work through WINE, and I'm never looking back.

I do some more casual things too, but most of my time on my computer is spent gaming.

FuturePilot
November 19th, 2008, 04:11 PM

Yep, I use it for just about everything.

shadow1983
November 19th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I use it for pretty much everything, last time i booted into my duel boot of XP was about 8 months ago, will get around to removing that at some point :)

hessiess
November 19th, 2008, 04:19 PM
wears the 'everything' option?

mangar
November 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM
There is no "Everything" option.. Let me rephrase: How do you define your main usage of your machine, when you boot to your Ubuntu partition? Ask yourself - what is the thing you do the most?

hessiess
November 19th, 2008, 04:40 PM

I use it for everything.

mangar
November 19th, 2008, 04:45 PM
"Everything" is not your primary usage.
It doesn't even makes sense.

Eisenwinter
November 19th, 2008, 04:47 PM
"Everything" is not your primary usage.
It doesn't even makes sense.
It's more like, I do everything on this machine.

Everything I do on my computer, is done on Ubuntu - that is what we, the "everything users", mean.

hessiess
November 19th, 2008, 05:19 PM
It's more like, I do everything on this machine.

Everything I do on my computer, is done on Ubuntu - that is what we, the "everything users", mean.

Yep, that's what I mean.

mangar
November 19th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Okay then, what is the thing that you most commonly do when you're using your computer?

Eisenwinter
November 19th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Okay then, what is the thing that you most commonly do when you're using your computer?
No, we don't have a specific thing we do, we just do everything on our Ubuntu machines.

hessiess
November 19th, 2008, 05:36 PM
no, we don't have a specific thing we do, we just do everything on our ubuntu machines.

+1

mangar
November 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Then you probably should choose "casual use".

:guitar:

Vadi
November 19th, 2008, 05:51 PM
The poll is broken.

I use Ubuntu for everyday use. That includes gaming, surfing, watching videos, and work.

Bölvağur
November 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
The poll is broken.

I use Ubuntu for everyday use. That includes gaming, surfing, watching videos, and work.

That was what I was thinking. Isn't it possible to have multiple choice polls?

alexhrdr
November 19th, 2008, 09:01 PM
+1 on the everything.

I do not have Ubuntu on a separate partition. I only have Ubuntu. That is the way it should be.

crazyfuturamanoob
November 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I use Ubuntu for gaming. Seriously, I do! There are really many good games that work natively under Linux.

+1 on the everything.

I do not have Ubuntu on a separate partition. I only have Ubuntu. That is the way it should be.

+2

ken_do_san
November 19th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I only have one OS on my laptop (Ubuntu 8.10), I use it for everything, but voted in the casual, maybe I shouldn't have voted but I still do use it for email and browsing as well.

chris4585
November 20th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I can't say I use Ubuntu for one thing... I use it for everything. I leave my computer on 24/7, one workspace for surfing the net and email, one for chatting, then the server of course runs in the background, I have a media workspace I play music on, then I have about three workspaces for folders and what I'm working on

Aiello
November 20th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Every thing I used Windows for, and more.

lisati
November 20th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I use Xubuntu on my first laptop for the "casual" everyday stuff like email, surfing and the like.

My desktop is sticking with XP for now for some of the video editing software that I'm used to. (The last few times I put any flavour of Ubuntu on it weird stuff went on that I don't fully understand happened with the partitioning, it took a bit of messing about to get a usuable system)

My new laptop came with Vista Home Premium, keeping for the purposes of video editing, but it has a Wubit'ed install of Ubuntu on it in case I want to show it off...

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 20th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I use Ubuntu mainly for casual use.

However, I am also an elderly person that manages engineers at a large company. I do some tinkering and experimentation as well.

When the younger engineers suggested something like a message board for sharing tips, howtos, design ideas, etc., I was all for it since I uses the Ubuntu forums. I made a LAMP server at home to discover how much time would be involved in setting up a system for them. When I found out how easy it was, I tasked the IT department with setting up a trial server in order to determine if it would work effectively in a business environment.

Our developers and testers work in small teams using agile, spiral, incremental, etc, development processes. Like Ubuntu, we have a 6 month release cycle. There was some talk about Virtualization and how it could help the testers. So, I installed Virtual Box on my home computer, and tried it out with Fedora 9, gOS 3.0, Ubuntu 8.10, and Sugar running as VMs. It worked very well. I'm working to get a trial of Virtualization implemented at work to access its usefulness.

The engineers think I am a COOL "gray beard". What they don't know is that I try out their ideas at home, learn about the technology they are interested in, before I spend company resources and money. I don't spend thousands of dollars of the company's money following the next trend. I personal try it first.

Thanks to Ubuntu and the community this old "gray beard" is staying somewhat current with technology.

Capt. Mac
November 20th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I voted casual usage, but it would have been everything if that was an option :)

oldos2er
November 20th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I use Ubuntu as my computer's operating system.

dusted
November 20th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Hard to vote on this one. I use it for Surfing, IMing, gaming (older games that run in Wine), school work, showing off Compiz, fixing other computers.

PCessna
November 20th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Gaming and General.

kikoman
November 20th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Everyday use:

To access internet for research and trade in the stock market.
OO and gnucash to organize my financial statements on my small businesses.

I also have a separate old computer dedicated for a XMBC media center powered by ubuntu.

I no longer play PC games or video editing so i dont need windows anymore. But im planning on getting a linux netbook and a ps3.

cardinals_fan
November 20th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I mostly use Slackware, so I guess I want the last option.

Tamlynmac
November 20th, 2008, 06:24 AM
cardinals_fan Re: I mainly use Ubuntu for...
I mostly use Slackware, so I guess I want the last option.

Slacker....LOL

cardinals_fan
November 20th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Slacker....LOL
http://www.slackware.com/~msimons/slackware/grfx/shared/pickupslack.jpg