PDA

View Full Version : Operating System Comparisons

CholericKoala
November 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM
So I am in college and I have been using Ubuntu for about 4 months now. Before, I used Windows Vista and XP because they did well for me. One thing about Linux distros is that they have a large community following. The debate between Linux vs Windows vs Mac has been going on for a long time and people are "hardcore" on whatever side they choose. I do not fall into the hardcore side of anything.

I think that Linux, Windows, and Mac are completely different and they all have their places. They all have different attributes and they all contribute to the computing community for the better. I do not feel the need to show evidence of this because I think it just takes a little bit of reasoning and open-mindedness.

So what I was wondering was how the Ubuntu community felt about this. I have seen many Windows bashes already, but also a fair bit of open-mindedness. To me, it is annoying to hear so people talk about how they hate the other distro/OS because of X reason. People use them and seemingly have success, so we should be happy for them right? I used windows for most of my life and probably since I built my rigs from scratch and didnt install useless junk, I never, ever had problems and it ran perfectly. The need for me to use Linux was null, but I'm using it anyway (and posting from it) because it intrigues me and it looks like a fun way to explore the computer world more.

Most of the Apple people at my school bash on Windows every other sentence. I want to "sudo rm **** *" their computers. I know that they know very little about computers in general, much less their own operating system, and I care little to hear about how they hate Windows so much. The elitist attitude is neither called for nor promotes people to use that OS. The main reason why I never tried out OSX is because all the people I know who use it say ignorant and spiteful things about an OS that I used for many years with no problems.

So Ubuntu Community, which I have grown fond of the past few months :), what do you guys think about Windows and Apple? Should Linux, Windows, or Apple even be compared? Is there really a "better" OS for everyone or is it really up to the person to make an informed and educated decision as to what they want to use?

Yownanymous
November 19th, 2008, 12:01 PM
To be honest, I was always one for bashing Mac (and sometimes Windows) but now I think I should give Mac a try before totally dumping it.

And Windows 9x was the best!:)

renzokuken
November 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I completely agree with what you are saying. Each OS has its own pros and cons, and its place in the market.

I have never used or owned a Mac so can't really comment on them, except for in my opinion they are greatly overpriced.

Windows i still have to use at uni, and having somehow become my research groups "IT Supervisor / Repair Man / Sys Admin" I have a greater understanding of Windows, and now realise that alot of its problems result from its 'users' and not always the OS itself.

I will always have deep love for Linux (in particular Ubuntu) though. I've been using it since Warty (4.10) with various other distros over the years, and still feel it is by far the most powerful and appropriate OS for my needs (but appreciate its not for everyone.....although we are getting there). A big factor in the ongoing love for Linux is this very community.....its helped and nurtured me at every stage.

Bölvağur
November 19th, 2008, 01:06 PM
http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel+Comparison+Linux+vs+Windows

This is comparison between vista and linux. This is the only legit way when comparing two operating systems... look at the actual operating system and disregard the applications that may or may not be included in some packages like ubuntu or mac osx, because applications are strictly not operating system, only the core is.

From that perspective, linux rules. If you include applications, they can all be ported to other operating systems (depending upon the company that made them) so if company X makes the program dr.X (which is THE BEST SOFTWARE EVER) and it will be included in the xdistro, the xdistro will not be the best operating system only because it has that software.

blueturtl
November 19th, 2008, 02:25 PM
You've posted an irresistible thread. I don't speak for the community though I am a part of it.

So I am in college and I have been using Ubuntu for about 4 months now. Before, I used Windows Vista and XP because they did well for me. One thing about Linux distros is that they have a large community following. The debate between Linux vs Windows vs Mac has been going on for a long time and people are "hardcore" on whatever side they choose. I do not fall into the hardcore side of anything.
It's a good attitude and one I've tried to live by as well. Trying not to take sides is really difficult though. I confess I was very angry with Microsoft some time ago (and still am to some extent), but that has subsided now that I'm using Linux on a daily basis. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I understand people who pick camps and can't resist debating their side every time, but at the same time I think there is a lot of unnecessary FUD being channeled on all sides. There are a lot of people angry for the sake of being angry, instead of people who actually have a reason.

I think that Linux, Windows, and Mac are completely different and they all have their places. They all have different attributes and they all contribute to the computing community for the better. I do not feel the need to show evidence of this because I think it just takes a little bit of reasoning and open-mindedness.
Use the tool that suits you best. This idea that Windows, Linux, and Mac (as the most common desktop platforms) are tools is very appealing to me. You tempt me though, because one could very well build an argument against any of the operating systems on technical basis -- which is also what happens. Windows users say Windows is best for gaming, Linux enthusiasts say Linux is most stable/secure and Mac pundits say Macs are the easiest computers ever.

So what I was wondering was how the Ubuntu community felt about this. I have seen many Windows bashes already, but also a fair bit of open-mindedness. To me, it is annoying to hear so people talk about how they hate the other distro/OS because of X reason. People use them and seemingly have success, so we should be happy for them right?
You are correct. We should be happy when we get to choose the operating system and applications that suit us best. The Windows/Microsoft bashing is unfortunately also a side-effect of Microsoft very aggressively trampling on this idea. In a world where operating systems shouldn't matter it is still very hard to choose the Mac or Linux as your OS, or anything other than Microsoft Office for your working tasks. Sure, we've come a long way, but there are a lot of people who get very very upset when they get a .doc file as an email attachment (because they can't open the dang things!). I confess to being one of them. I'm also very upset when I receive spam from dozens of machines captured by viruses/trojans. If you dislike the Mac or Linux you can easily shut them out of your life. With Microsoft it's not that easy.

I used windows for most of my life and probably since I built my rigs from scratch and didnt install useless junk, I never, ever had problems and it ran perfectly. The need for me to use Linux was null, but I'm using it anyway (and posting from it) because it intrigues me and it looks like a fun way to explore the computer world more.
You and I share a lot, but unlike you I did end up having a lot of problems with Windows. Maybe I was unlucky. I am still a fan of Windows 95 though. It might not be the shiniest or most advanced technically, but to me it's the most manageable version of Windows to date. I moved to Linux very much out of necessity, since Windows 95 cannot support modern hardware. Since then I've grown to prefer Linux.

Most of the Apple people at my school bash on Windows every other sentence. I want to "sudo rm **** *" their computers. I know that they know very little about computers in general, much less their own operating system, and I care little to hear about how they hate Windows so much. The elitist attitude is neither called for nor promotes people to use that OS. The main reason why I never tried out OSX is because all the people I know who use it say ignorant and spiteful things about an OS that I used for many years with no problems.
I have a friend like this. For years he struggled with his Windows 2000 workstation. I kept telling him to get a Mac, because he does audio work mostly and that's what I've understood Macs are well suited for. Eventually he did get the Mac, and I haven't heard the end of it yet. To say he is not a technical person would be wrong, since he is a whiz with audio equipment, but his computer knowledge is more limited. He also likes to take a bash at Windows/Microsoft when he gets the chance. Now you and I both know that it is possible to use Windows without problems, but tell me -- do you honestly think it is a good system for a person who doesn't want to get too involved with it? A lot of these bitter ex-Windows users are really just users who expect sane defaults. They don't expect to get hijacked by trojans just by running the web browser bundled with the OS. They don't want to use registry protection because their systems will get slower over time, and they do not want to defragment their hard drives.

Think of it this way: For a person trapped with a product they didn't like it's like a dream to finally find something that works for them! No wonder they can't keep it to themselves. From a psychological perspective, people are almost ten times more likely to bash something they dislike than they are to recommend something they like. When a way out finally presents itself, are they going to promote their new saviour just for not being as terrible (from their perspective) as the old product, or are they going to complain about the old product?

So Ubuntu Community, which I have grown fond of the past few months , what do you guys think about Windows and Apple? Should Linux, Windows, or Apple even be compared? Is there really a "better" OS for everyone or is it really up to the person to make an informed and educated decision as to what they want to use?
If you want my honest opinion, I think Windows is simply unnessary as a platform. From a technical standpoint there is little reason for it to exist. Linux gives power users more power, and Mac OS X is easier for the point-and-click crowd who don't know (or want to know) what CPU they are running. That said I don't mind people who prefer Windows. I just sometimes wish it wouldn't affect my life. That is the source of all (remaining) dislike/anger I feel toward Windows/Microsoft.

Hope this didn't turn into a terrible rant.

renzokuken
November 19th, 2008, 02:43 PM
If you want my honest opinion, I think Windows is simply unnessary as a platform. From a technical standpoint there is little reason for it to exist. Linux gives power users more power, and Mac OS X is easier for the point-and-click crowd who don't know (or want to know) what CPU they are running. That said I don't mind people who prefer Windows. I just sometimes wish it wouldn't affect my life. That is the source of all (remaining) dislike/anger I feel toward Windows/Microsoft.

Hope this didn't turn into a terrible rant.

I think you just made a valid point in that last statement. You could consider Linux and OSX as being two opposite extremes of operating system philosophy. Linux is the fully editable, customisable 'toolbox' OS .... to the point where you can edit the underlying code freely if you really want. Perfect for power users with experience in PCs.

At the other extreme, OS X is designed with simplicity in mind. Having standard hardware and a very easy to use system means very little knowledge is required from a user point of view.

Windows however, could be argued, is trying to satisfy both camps. Ease of use, and user control for those who have the know-how. But is that really possible? To be able to build a stable, safe operating system that can cater for both ends of the spectrum. I doubt it, and even if it is possible, Microsoft are a long way off.

But is this now the danger that Linux faces? In trying to build an easier to use desktop and gain a bigger share of the market, will it sacrifice it's power user abilities and end up being a jack of all trades and master of none.

I'm sure someone will completely correct me on this, but it was just a spur of the moment thought.

....and a very good rant on your part too blueturtl

billgoldberg
November 19th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I don't care what other people use on their pc.

The only thing I comment on every now and then is the fact that especially OSX has loads of DRM and a huge vendor lock-in issue.

Valok
November 19th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I am totally against mac as a company, I don't like what they do and never have. Their OS isn't bad, its very pretty actually. But I'm obligated to dislike it because of who makes it.

I know its completely irrational but its just something that I love to hate, and most of the time I just like giving people a hard time in a joking around kinda way. Just like I do with Yankees fans. ;)

CholericKoala
November 20th, 2008, 03:32 AM

This is comparison between vista and linux. This is the only legit way when comparing two operating systems... look at the actual operating system and disregard the applications that may or may not be included in some packages like ubuntu or mac osx, because applications are strictly not operating system, only the core is.

From that perspective, linux rules. If you include applications, they can all be ported to other operating systems (depending upon the company that made them) so if company X makes the program dr.X (which is THE BEST SOFTWARE EVER) and it will be included in the xdistro, the xdistro will not be the best operating system only because it has that software.

Though you make a valid point about a program not making an OS the best, one of the things Windows has going for it is that it has a TON of programs that only it can run. Sure, you can port some over, but it is difficult and probably will not run at peak efficiency. Games, for example, just do not run well on Linux (the new ones). They can run, but not run efficiently. I do not know if disregarding applications would be the best for comparing OS's. If you have the best performing/booting OS, but there are no apps for it, there is little to compare, I think at least.

PCessna
November 20th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Personally, I like XP, It's nice, But the factors added in, Microcough wise, Like no security, tons of virus', lack of out-of-the-box multi-tasking, making it PBBBT, etc.

I hated Vista, it didn't work for me for one moment of my life. XP is ok, But I honestly can't go on the stuff too much if I don't have to.

I try to use Linux as much and possible following Mac, but I'm not doing to well with Mac atm, but within the next few months, I plan to slowy and smoothly ditch Windows all together, and stick with Linux and Mac, in that reverse order.

Npl
November 20th, 2008, 03:58 AM

From that perspective, linux rules...It rules in bulletpoints as far as I understand your argument. Linux has a ton of features, but its also a question of how good they are actually implemented and how they are working together.
You can count "features" as long as you want (pretty much marketing-babble unless you consider the whole picture), in the end I observe stuttering in audio/video for simple things like moving windows in Ubuntu. Copying directories will bring everything to a crawl. Running Ubuntu on a 700MHz machine will result in notable delays in basically everything, same machine flies with Windows XP.
Oh, of course having an X-Server means you could transparently route your desktop to the moon and back, you can stitch together your desktop freely. The downside is that such concepts cost more performance than a everything-integrated-no-nonsense approach and atleast in the case of the X-Server are pretty much esoteric. Im running a 2,5 GHz Dualcore and see and feel a significant deficit in performance on Linux-Desktops, which is quite horrible IMHO.