PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Soundblaster Live card not detected or not working

tee2
November 19th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I just put a SoundBlaster Live! soundcard in my brothers ancient computer because the onboard sound wasn't working and I was hoping this would. Still no sound so I reinstalled alsa and some other sound related packages hoping that it would get things going but still no sound. Any help would really be appreciated. This is Xubuntu 8.10 btw.

tee2
November 19th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Anyone have any ideas??

tee2
November 20th, 2008, 10:09 PM
bump

:confused:

tee2
November 22nd, 2008, 05:53 AM
bump

Shazaam
November 22nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
First, make sure that ANY onboard sound chips are disabled in the pc's bios. Then go to Applications>Accessories>Terminal and open it. Enter this...

alsamixer
Along the bottom you will see boxes thar are either 00 or MM. Using your arrow keyboard keys move to the ones that are MM and hit the m key. This will unmute the settings (changes them to OO). Play around with them to see if it works, the up and down arrow keys change the levels.
If after this and still no sound, go to System>Preferences>Sound. On the Devices tab change ALL but the bottom one to ALSA, Default Mixer Tracks change to SBLive.
If it now works then you might want to disable pulseaudio (or reconfigure it).

tee2
November 22nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
First, make sure that ANY onboard sound chips are disabled in the pc's bios. Then go to Applications>Accessories>Terminal and open it. Enter this...

alsamixer
Along the bottom you will see boxes thar are either 00 or MM. Using your arrow keyboard keys move to the ones that are MM and hit the m key. This will unmute the settings (changes them to OO). Play around with them to see if it works, the up and down arrow keys change the levels.
If after this and still no sound, go to System>Preferences>Sound. On the Devices tab change ALL but the bottom one to ALSA, Default Mixer Tracks change to SBLive.
If it now works then you might want to disable pulseaudio (or reconfigure it).

When I try and run alsamixer I get this

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

Thanks for the reply by the way. :)

tee2
November 24th, 2008, 06:49 AM
bump

tee2
November 28th, 2008, 04:23 AM
bump

faustism
November 29th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I am having a similar problem. I get that error at alsamixer and i dont know what to do. I am thinking that there is a problem in xubuntu itself. Does anyone NOT get an error message when they run "alsamixer" ?

Heres my thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=975553)

tee2
November 29th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I am having a similar problem. I get that error at alsamixer and i dont know what to do. I am thinking that there is a problem in xubuntu itself. Does anyone NOT get an error message when they run "alsamixer" ?

Heres my thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=975553)

Are you using a soundblaster live! card?

faustism
November 29th, 2008, 09:40 PM
no I'm not, but I dont think that is the problem. (well maybe it is but I think theres another) I think that something isn't installed right. I am using a Audio Drive ES1869 card.

faustism
December 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
i got my sound to work. im not sure if your having the same problem though. maybe u want to try what i did... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6411275#post6411275