PDA

View Full Version : Hey, ya'll!

spcwingo
November 19th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Hi, I'm just stopping by to say hello from Beulah (between Opelika and Valley). I've been fiddling with linux for about 6 months and have finally settled on Ubuntu for my desktop and laptop. I started using Puppy but the pure ease has pushed me to Ubuntu. I still use Puppy on my low-end machines. I look forward to hearing from and meeting ya'll!

sc0g
November 21st, 2008, 03:47 AM
If GNOME becomes too basic for you, install KDE4 :-D

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

spcwingo
November 21st, 2008, 06:49 AM
If GNOME becomes too basic for you, install KDE4 :-D

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll stick with Gnome for now. I'm kinda diggin' the look and simplicity. I'm still wet behind the ears with Ubuntu, so I kinda need that right now.

Maverick1712
November 21st, 2008, 06:51 AM
Changing window managers becomes and addiction.

I've gone from Gnome->KDE->AwesomeWM in the past two weeks. I only hope people stop telling me to check more out. (Awesome is sweet by the way)

Cheers, and welcome.

spcwingo
November 21st, 2008, 08:00 AM
I thought about jwm, lxp-icewm, or just plain icewm...the only problem is I'm still pretty green. After I get a little experience under my belt, I might give it a go, but for now, I believe Gnome's the one for me. BTW, Awesomewm looks pretty, well, awesome!

crane
November 24th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I am a Gnome fan. I have tried the others but always come back to Gnome.

y6FgBn)~v
December 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
A warm welcome to spcwingo. ):P The tardiness of my reply is due to me being out of town the past few weeks. It's good to be back home. My avatar indicates my Xfce allegiance. :cool:

spcwingo
December 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
I too like XFCE due to it's simplicity. The only reason I don't use Xubuntu is the lack of intergrated network browsing. I sure Icould accomplish this by installing Rox of some other file browser but, I'm in love with Gnome now, so...

Ancalagon82
January 24th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Does the SPC part of the name mean that there are two of us, and that the E4 mafia is now in effect?!?!

spcwingo
January 24th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Does the SPC part of the name mean that there are two of us, and that the E4 mafia is now in effect?!?!

You know it!

Ancalagon82
January 24th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Time to regulate and get these privates in line!

MOS? 11Bulletcatcher, about to be a POG (37F).

And by about, I mean leaving for Benning next thursday for Jump School, and then on to Bragg for AIT.

spcwingo
January 24th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Benning? That's my neck of the woods (about 30 miles away). BTW, my MOS=63b. I'm the guy who kept grunts from humping it all the time. From my time in the Army I learned three kinds of people not to screw with:

1)Supply (for obvious reasons)
2)Cooks (for obvious reasons)
3)Mechanics (b/c "Would you rather be walking"?)

I'm done with the Army now. I wish I could go back, but after my back surgery they won't take my back. Good luck with getting your wings and don't let the Sgt's Airbourne give you too much s**t.

Ancalagon82
January 24th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Benning? That's my neck of the woods (about 30 miles away). BTW, my MOS=63b. I'm the guy who kept grunts from humping it all the time. From my time in the Army I learned three kinds of people not to screw with:

1)Supply (for obvious reasons)
2)Cooks (for obvious reasons)
3)Mechanics (b/c "Would you rather be walking"?)

I'm done with the Army now. I wish I could go back, but after my back surgery they won't take my back. Good luck with getting your wings and don't let the Sgt's Airbourne give you too much s**t.

Will do. My little brothers at Auburn* right now, and I look forward to getting to chill with him on the weekends.

63B = Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic, yes?

Don't forget Finance! Always want a hook up in Finance!

Sorry to hear about the back, did they give you a good %?

*Well, Southern Union technically :lol: But he's accepted for next year!

spcwingo
January 24th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Will do. My little brothers at Auburn* right now, and I look forward to getting to chill with him on the weekends.

63B = Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic, yes?

Don't forget Finance! Always want a hook up in Finance!

Sorry to hear about the back, did they give you a good %?

*Well, Southern Union technically :lol: But he's accepted for next year!

Yes, 63b is mechanic (light wheeled). You got that right about finance...Definitely don't want somebody screwing up your pay. As far as my back...I hurt it right after I got out (3 months after I got out) so I have no disability. Your bro is at the onion? Wow, that's only about 5 min from Ft. Living-room. I did about a year in Southern Union (I need to get back and finish already) for industrial maintenance. It's a very good school as far as Community Colleges go...very good professors and very small classes. I personally learned alot my short time there. Anyways, good luck to both of ya.

Ancalagon82
January 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I hurt it right after I got out (3 months after I got out) so I have no disability.

My old teamleader got out right after we got back. 6 months later he filed at the VA for both his knees and 'PTSD.' :lol: Getting a nice fat paycheck now. *******.

spcwingo
January 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM
My old teamleader got out right after we got back. 6 months later he filed at the VA for both his knees and 'PTSD.' :lol: Getting a nice fat paycheck now. *******.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that. Got back? You got to play in the sandbox too? I did 14 months in the Al Dora precinct of Baghdad right before I got out. The bad part was I got involuntarily transferred to another unit in Feb. '03. In Mar. I was sitting in Benning. In May exactly 1 week before my ETS we touched down in Kuwait. I was involuntarily extended the remainder of the time I was there. Most of my IRR time was spent getting shot at. When we got back I did the last few months of my IRR as active. When that time was up I got out of dodge. Looking back now I probably would have just transferred to the Air Force after I seen how those guys lived over there and probably would have ended up as a lifer. You live and you learn, I guess.