PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Inspiron 6400 problems with wireless and sound.

warsong
November 19th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Hey all.
I just installed ubuntu 8.10 and im having some small issues with my sound and wireless card.

I'm currently running the update manager and its taking an insanely long time to download a 79 meg update which to me doesn't seem normal. The max speed I've seen on the download manager is about 25 kb/s. I have a dell inspiron 6400 and my wireless card is:

Intel Pro 3945ABG [Golan] (Rev2)

Its not just the update manager because I just tried some apt-get commands and they go slow as well...

For my sound everything seems to be working fine except for one thing. I believe its the error sound. Example: when you press backspace in pidgeon in your convo box and there's no characters to delete or in Firefox when your doing a search and you type characters that it doesn't find. Instead of playing on my computer speakers, it just triggers my internal speaker beep loudly. I was reading around the forums and someone was talking about configuring alsa but I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!