PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vista Loader

ParellelSpider
November 19th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I'm interested in installing ubuntu with the wubi installer, but the problem is that the only thing keeping my vista running is vista loader 2.2. I know it works by loading before windows and emulating an OEM BIOS, but my question is if I was to introduce my computer to a dual booting mode would vista loader stop working? Has anyone done this personally?

I really want to try ubuntu but I'm not willing to risk my Vista installation just yet (still need it for my Zune).

If anyone can offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, does wubi work with Kubuntu?

SunnyRabbiera
November 19th, 2008, 12:32 AM
well you will still get a bootloader no matter what as grub is included with ubuntu.
It should work.

ciscosurfer
November 19th, 2008, 12:37 AM
You can try Ubuntu by running the Live CD, also known as the Desktop CD (download the iso, burn it, run it). I don't much care for wubi and think it causes more headaches than anything else. There are, of course, those who completely disagree with me...but I digress.

ParellelSpider
November 19th, 2008, 12:44 AM
WOW you guys are fast, I wish that customer support lines were as fast as this. What I want is a backup OS in case somehow MS bricks my Vista install (due to the fact that it is illegal). I would like it to be on my hard drive so that if I were to go somewhere with my laptop and windows dies I'm not totally screwed.

I've used the live CD but I would like to use a full install.