PDA

View Full Version : Important Agile Programming Metrics

lindella
November 19th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I am currently working on my Masters Thesis in Computer Science and am trying to get some information from other programmers who use agile programming methods. I am looking to learn more about what kinds of metrics agile programmers find most useful on a daily basis. For example, if your group follows the scrum methodology are there any numbers that come up in almost every daily meeting? Or if you use some kind of project tracking software are there any data points that you find more useful to your job as a programmer?

Any feedback is much appreciated, thank you.

tinny
November 19th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I am currently working on my Masters Thesis in Computer Science and am trying to get some information from other programmers who use agile programming methods. I am looking to learn more about what kinds of metrics agile programmers find most useful on a daily basis. For example, if your group follows the scrum methodology are there any numbers that come up in almost every daily meeting? Or if you use some kind of project tracking software are there any data points that you find more useful to your job as a programmer?

Any feedback is much appreciated, thank you.

Hi

Fortunately / Unfortunately I am involved with Agile projects.

We specifically take the Scrum approach to the project management aspect of our development. The important metrics we talk about are burn down velocity (story points burned per day), effort (change in estimated sprint points per day, E.g. Scope creep), back log (story points remaining) and business value (the value from 100 to 500 that a story card presents for customer).

These metrics are often talked about in our morning stand-up meetings.

tinny
November 19th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Also, one point to note is that Scrum is just one small part of Agile.

steelbreeze
May 13th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I recently read an article where a company used a scrum team with agile to complete a lengthy project. It may help to have a "real world" sample. http://www.askprimerica.com/run-the-play-the-agile-way/
I hope this information helps!