PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] 10/100 and 1000 interoperability question

keratos
November 18th, 2008, 11:45 PM
hi

if I had a single 10/100 LAN Router, two PCs each with a 1GB LAN card installed and connected to the router, would the LAN traffic between the two PCs on the LAN travel at 1000 or 100 Mbps ?

if the answer is 100 then would I have to connect a 1GB switch and connect the two PCs it?

thanks in advance?

tsucol11
November 19th, 2008, 12:02 AM
hi

if I had a single 10/100 LAN Router, two PCs each with a 1GB LAN card installed and connected to the router, would the LAN traffic between the two PCs on the LAN travel at 1000 or 100 Mbps ?

if the answer is 100 then would I have to connect a 1GB switch and connect the two PCs it?

thanks in advance?

Been there , Done that. You need a 1 gig switch or a 1 gig router to get 1 gig throughput. System will only go as fast as the slowest denominator, your router (100). Get a 5 port (1 gig) switch, attach it to your router & connect the 2 PC's to the switch. By the way it is hard to get an actual 1 gig connection between compters as your HD's are usually doing more than 1 thing at a time. Change in speed from a 100 lan to a 1000 lan is nice though.

On my system transfer rates vary between 8 MB/sec to 22 MB/sec on large file transfers.

Brian

keratos
November 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
thanks for the info.

the trigger for the question was basically I am going to create a HTPC/PC house entertainment system and need a HTPC box by the TV. The filesever (tucked away in the cellar) has a 10/100 LAN card.

I wondered if I should by a 10/100 LAN for the HTPC or buy a 1GB LAN card + Switch. I do not require decoding of TV channels, but do want to stream full resolution PAL video between the PC/HTPC via wired LAN.

Even better would be wireless but I doubt whether wireless would be upto it.