PDA

View Full Version : The new super computer - Jaguar

tezer
November 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I've just found it cited on one of sites:

>> The new super computer - Jaguar. It's comprised of over 45,000 quad-core Opteron processors, 362TB of RAM, and has a 10PB (petabyte) storage array, able to perform calculations at a massive 1.64 petaflops.

Temo:
I need two.

bob sakamano:
will they be releasing a netbook sized version of this anytime soon?

Allislost:
Can i get a discount for bulk orders?

Steve Childs:
Sod Crysis, will it run Vista?

Liv:
screw Crysis... this monster can divide by zero and... dare I say it... succeed! *gasp*

icepop4who:
too bad Chuck Norris is still faster

billgoldberg
November 18th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I've just found it cited on one of sites:

Made me chuckle.

mips
November 18th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Probably needs a small Sun to power it.

gardara
November 18th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Is this for real?
Anyways the comments made me laugh :lolflag:

smoker
November 18th, 2008, 09:59 PM
hmm, the jaguar's just been pipped by the roadrunner!
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39554845,00.htm

Cray's XT5 Jaguar supercomputer has narrowly missed displacing IBM's Roadrunner system as the world's fastest supercomputer, according to the results of the bi-annual 'Top500' supercomputing list announced on Friday.

gjoellee
November 18th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I guess it runs Vista at accepetional speeds...
Ubuntu on that one....that would be fun....
Slitaz on that one...I guess in clicks before you think about clicking!

billgoldberg
November 18th, 2008, 10:10 PM
The thing is that in xx years systems like that will be considered low-end for desktop use.

bufsabre666
November 18th, 2008, 10:14 PM
The thing is that in xx years systems like that will be considered low-end for desktop use.

the thing is, it might not even need two x's, itll prolly be in the next x years. i remember a video by chris pirillo where he made a joke and it is kinda fortelling the future, the joke was "in like ten years were ganna be looking back and joking, ha 2gb of ram? you cant even run minesweeper without 16Tb"

smoker
November 18th, 2008, 10:20 PM

still, need to condense it a little in size before it will fit in the average room :)

Bruce M.
November 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM
Ho hum .... stretch .... yawn!

But will it run Xubuntu and can I get one at Computers-R-Us?

Have a nice day.
Bruce

Seriously: WoW! Guess that blows the "640K is all anyone will ever need" statement right outta the "solar system".

Ozor Mox
November 21st, 2008, 07:48 PM
What do they actually use these things for?

johnb820
November 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Solving real computer science problems like the ackermann function, a proven way to win checkers if you start the game, just problems in general that can't be performed on regular systems because they require incredibly intensive computing power.

Therion
November 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
What do they actually use these things for?
Solitaire, mainly.

Seriously, I was curious myself so I made some calls to find out. Turns out these beasts spend much of their time doing highly calculation-intensive tasks such as problems involving quantum mechanical physics, weather forecasting, climate research (including research into global warming), molecular modeling (computing the structures and properties of chemical compounds, biological macromolecules, polymers, and crystals), physical simulations (such as simulation of airplanes in wind tunnels, simulation of the detonation of nuclear weapons, and research into nuclear fusion), cryptanalysis, and the like. Major universities, military agencies and scientific research laboratories are heavy users.

/okay, so it came from Wikipedia.
//shoot me.