PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What type of hard drive do I need to get?

snkngshps
November 18th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I have a dell Inspiron 1501 laptop and I'm looking to get a bigger hard drive. The drive I have now works fine I would just like to have more space. I always get nervous when buying a new hard drive because with ATA and SATA and RPMs and GB/S I never really know what to get. I would like to get the most space possible.. Newegg has three laptop drives that are 500GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150380%201309740009&name=500GB

Will any of those work? And if not can someone tell me what will be the biggest HD I can put in my machine? Also, something that plays well with Ubuntu obviously (although I haven't heard of many people having hard drive compatibility problems). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

razy60
November 18th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Cant help much on the max size drive but your laptop should be running a 5400rpm sata drive.
If you go to the Dell site and go to tech support put in your service tag(its on a label on the bottom) that should give you an idea of the specs that you will be looking for. It should be able to handle a 7200rpm drive but will get noisy and quite warm, due to the added load.
Just Google max size hard drive for a 1501, probably will be around 250gig

Therion
November 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Will any of those work?

Any of those listed in the link would work in your Dell.

I'm partial to WD hard drives, personally, but that's just my opinion.

Edit: There's no limit to hard drive capacity you can install. You need a 2.5" SATA hard drive; that's all your Dell (and/or Ubuntu) will care about. 5400RPM will be standard, 7200RPM would be better (read: faster), but will also cost you more money. I love a 7200RPM drive in a laptop (really perks them up!) but if you want/need capacity over speed, those 500 giggers you list should hold you over nicely. They're all nice drives.

snkngshps
November 18th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks so much! I'm a total geek when it comes to software but I have no confidence in hardware.