PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] freeze fix procedure instructions

espc
November 18th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Hey. Beginner here and got this fix for my ubundu 8.10 freezing randomly. I have a new dell 1525 core2 duo, 2 gig ram. what do i type exactly in the terminal?

Thanks for your report.

This is likely a dup of bug 276990
Can you please run the command "sudo lspci -vvnn > lspci-vvnn.log" and attach the file lspci-vvnn.log

Thanks in advance.

dakkar9999
November 18th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I would also like to know how to troubleshoot random freeze. I think it might be caused by the video card (ATI x1650) but how to find out?

Thanks!

decoherence
November 18th, 2008, 04:02 PM
what do i type exactly in the terminal?

type

sudo lspci -vvnn > lspci-vvnn.log

which will create a file called 'lspci-vvnn.log' attach the file in a reply to the report.

Note this command will not fix your system but help others determine the cause of the problem.

HenHao
November 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I too am feeling the freeze.

I just added an ATI 3450 (ASUS AH 3450 AGP) to a happy Intrepid installation. After using envy to install the driver, I rebooted and froze solid 90seconds or so into the desktop. The same thing occurred after every subsequent reboot; about 60-120seconds of usability followed by a total hang.

It looks like I have a solution too; set your AGP "multiplier" to 4X. It appears that 8X AGP was the villain.

I am well past the usual onset of the lock-up so, if you are trying to run ATI on AGP, check for 8X.

Best luck!

dakkar9999
November 19th, 2008, 02:35 PM
ok, I'll try the AGP multiplier to 4X

I've done the sudo lspci -vvnn > lspci-vvnn.log command, but I do not see where the file output is.

djbushido
November 19th, 2008, 03:12 PM
In general, the output should be in whatever directory the terminal is.
However, if you still can't find it, just do lspci and copy the results to a file, or post it here.